• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do food grade chemicals only have to be used on food contact surfaces?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

lara_80

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

I am a  little confused on "Food Grade" in my glass manufacturing plant. Do food grade chemicals only have to be used on food contact surfaces? Right now they are using a number of different products on our lines, and on the equipment. I guess I am trying to figure out if every chemical needs to be food grade or only the ones that come in contact with the inside of the bottle that will contain at some point food/beverage. Also, we do not say our bottles are sanitized only that they are made in a clean environment. 

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:06 PM

Anything that comes into contact with food and primary packaging needs to be food grade.Make sure you have SDSs for these chemicals that does say they are, in fact food grade.

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

lara_80

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

The Food Scientist-

Here is an example of what I am talking about: formed glass bottles come through the line upright, the conveyor belt comes in to contact with the bottom of the bottle, I understand that the belt itself needs food grade lubricant but does the motor or other components that do not come into contact with the bottle have to?

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:58 PM

Do food grade chemicals only have to be used on food contact surfaces? 

Food grade can be used on non food grade surfaces, but non food grade should not be used on food contact surfaces.

The Food Scientist-

Here is an example of what I am talking about: formed glass bottles come through the line upright, the conveyor belt comes in to contact with the bottom of the bottle, I understand that the belt itself needs food grade lubricant but does the motor or other components that do not come into contact with the bottle have to?

you can use non-food grade chemicals on a non food contact surface. Remember, segregation in storage and use should be followed.

Hope it helps.

Gerard H.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 411 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• France
    France

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

Dear Laura,

Try to consider whether you can switch to 100 % food grade lubricants in your plant. By doing so, you create a safe lubrication program.

Often you will need more than 1 agent to cover all your machines.

You can execute this project with the maintenance department or with your HACCP team.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

SunilDogra

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:54 AM

Hi

In the food industry,chemicals are routinely used to sanitize and disinfect product. We can use non-food grade chemicals on a non food contact surface.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 March 2019 - 05:15 AM

I am a  little confused on "Food Grade" in my glass manufacturing plant. Do food grade chemicals only have to be used on food contact surfaces? Right now they are using a number of different products on our lines, and on the equipment. I guess I am trying to figure out if every chemical needs to be food grade or only the ones that come in contact with the inside of the bottle that will contain at some point food/beverage. Also, we do not say our bottles are sanitized only that they are made in a clean environment. 

"Food Grade" Chemicals is a highly misused terminology.

See these threads for example -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ning-chemicals/

https://www.ifsqn.co...e-safe-for-use/

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users