3 replies to this topic

mzydek

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 March 2019 - 01:36 PM

I need to file an extension for my SQF audit and from I am being told it needs to be done through my certification body. I reached out and they came back with "I need you to send me a document explaining why you need it". I was wondering if anyone has ever filed for an extension and knows the requirements. How do I go about it? Where in the SQF code does it talk about the extensions? What are some of the reasons that SQF will allow the extension for? Our main reason was scheduling, our cert. body did not change the dates of the audit in time and then they didn't have an auditor available and if I am understanding it right I need my current certification body to do the extension, I can't switch my certification body at this point. 

Thank you

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

Hope this helps see the section in BOLD

3.2 Site Audit Corrective Actions All non-conformities and their resolution shall be documented by the SQF food safety auditor. The close-out timeframe for major and minor non conformities identified below apply to the site audit only.

• A minor non-conformity shall be corrected, verified and closed out by the SQF food safety auditor within thirty (30) calendar days of the completion of the site audit. Extensions may be granted by the certification body where there is no immediate threat to product safety, and alternative, temporary methods of control are initiated. The site shall be advised of the extended timeframe. Where an extension is granted, the non-conformity shall still be closed out and the SQF food safety auditor shall document all details of justification of the extension, how the risk is being controlled, and the agreed completion date.

A major non-conformity shall be corrected and appropriate corrective action verified and closed out within thirty (30) calendar days of the completion of the site audit. In circumstances where the corrective action involves structural change or cannot be corrected due to seasonal conditions or installation lead times, this period can be extended provided the corrective action time frame is acceptable to the certification body and temporary action is taken by the site to mitigate the risk to product safety. However, in such cases, the non-conformity shall be closed out and the SQF food safety auditor shall document all details of justification of the extension, how the risk is being controlled, and the agreed completion date. A documented root cause analysis shall be submitted by the site as part of the corrective action evidence for every major non-conformity.

• If the SQF food safety auditor considers that a critical non-conformity exists during a certification audit, the SQF food safety auditor shall immediately advise the site and notify the certification body. A critical non-conformity raised at an initial certification audit results in an automatic failure of the audit, and the site must re-apply for certification (refer Part A, 3.5).

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,665 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:49 PM

Yes, it needs to be done thru the CB and all you need to do is indicate the reason for your request, there are no forms to fill out - just write down the why and submit it.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

tadelong

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 89 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:47 PM

I had to apply for an extension this year. We had a fairly virulent flu go through our office staff(thanks to my 1 year old for that). I found NSF to be surprisingly accommodating.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users