Jump to content

  • Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

Mould on jam - scrape off or dispose?


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 zanorias

zanorias

    Grade - PIFSQN

  • IFSQN Principal
  • 797 posts
  • 239 thanks
154
Excellent

  • United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:UK
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 04 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

Earlier this year the UK PM mentioned that she scrapes the mould off jam commenting that "the rest is 'perfectly edible'".

 

https://www.bbc.co.u...litics-47226427

 

The FSA comments on the topic: "While it is possible that removing the mould and a significant amount of the surrounding product could remove any unseen toxins that are present, there is no guarantee that doing so would remove them all."

 

The USDA has a handy table and comments on jam:

Handling: Disgard. Reason: The mold could be producing a mycotoxin. Microbiologists recommend against scooping out the mold and using the remaining condiment. :huh: 

https://www.fsis.usd...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

 

The topic seems to split opinion; I've heard some people claiming that to be ok, some say remove an inch from the top and the rest is ok, some say dispose of the whole jar, and to some it will depend on the type of jam, mould and age. I remember my food safety module professor telling us that mould can root through food so the whole thing should be chucked.

 

Interested to hear the thoughts of the food safety savy folks here on the matter...



#2 Scampi

Scampi

    Fellow

  • IFSQN Fellow
  • 3,271 posts
  • 894 thanks
483
Excellent

  • Canada
    Canada
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 04 April 2019 - 12:41 PM

Hard cheeses are generally speaking the ONLY item in which mold can be safely removed. Mold forms long "fingers" that can easily penetrate a substance like jam or jelly so pitch it!

 

DANGER!

When you're through with your Mold Terrarium, throw it in the garbage. Don't reuse the container. Don't even open the lid! Mold is not a good thing for some people to smell or breathe.

https://www.explorat...lorer/mold.html

 

Dangers of Mold on Food

Mold can be very dangerous if eaten. Mold is perhaps most common on bread, cheese, and fruits and vegetables left out in the kitchen. Eating mold on any item has the potential to make you very sick. Simply cutting off the moldy part does not render the food safe to eat. Mold has the ability to penetrate deep into the food and not just fester on the surface. If you do spot mold on your food, it is best to inspect the entire serving and not just one spot. In addition, if the food you are eating is part of a package of multiple servings, you should check all of them – mold can spread very quickly and infest an entire package of food.

https://sciencing.co...od-4966797.html

 

Are Molds Only on the Surface of Food?
No, you only see part of the mold on the surface of food — gray fur on forgotten bologna, fuzzy green dots on bread, white dust on Cheddar, coin-size velvety circles on fruits, and furry growth on the surface of jellies. When a food shows heavy mold growth, "root" threads have invaded it deeply. In dangerous molds, poisonous substances are often contained in and around these threads. In some cases, toxins may have spread throughout the food.
https://www.fsis.usd...erous_/ct_index
 

 


Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users