Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 29 April 2019 - 09:09 AM

I work for a paper and board manufacturer in South Africa, that supplies large volumes into the food packaging market. 

I have been tasked with conducting a microbiological risk assessment of our manufacturing operations that will enable mitigation of any potential hazards to the food packaged in our products. At this point, I am trying to formulate a plan on how to conduct such an assessment, and have hit a few information stumbling blocks.

To date, the only guideline that I have come across that indicates which organisms to monitor and levels is the Dairyman's standard. I do however think that this is somewhat outdated, and does not take into consideration the evolving nature of paper and board production, particularly the increased use of recycled fibre. Has there been any development of the Dairyman's standard to take this into consideration? Are there other guidelines or regulations current or in development that are more descriptive? 

Another avenue suggested by literature is to take the food application into consideration and use the microbial levels dictated for that particular food. Is this a acceptable compromise? 

Any input in this regard would be greatly appreciated

Regards, 

Pauline

AHJ

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 21 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 April 2019 - 10:14 AM

If you go on the SQF website you can see the SQF Code book for food packaging. It's free to download the documents (just click the orange code book on the website for the pdf version)

https://www.sqfi.com...oads-edition-8/

This gives you an idea of what kinds of testing is required on food contact packaging; if your customers are SQF certified or even more broadly GFSI certified. 

As far as a method goes, I would assume that you could do a dry swab and send it out to a contracted lab to be tested for coliforms, SPC(standard plate count) or yeast and mold in the same way that you would for Environmental Monitoring swabs of the facility. 

Edited by AHJ, 29 April 2019 - 10:15 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 April 2019 - 02:50 AM

I work for a paper and board manufacturer in South Africa, that supplies large volumes into the food packaging market. 

I have been tasked with conducting a microbiological risk assessment of our manufacturing operations that will enable mitigation of any potential hazards to the food packaged in our products. At this point, I am trying to formulate a plan on how to conduct such an assessment, and have hit a few information stumbling blocks.

To date, the only guideline that I have come across that indicates which organisms to monitor and levels is the Dairyman's standard. I do however think that this is somewhat outdated, and does not take into consideration the evolving nature of paper and board production, particularly the increased use of recycled fibre. Has there been any development of the Dairyman's standard to take this into consideration? Are there other guidelines or regulations current or in development that are more descriptive? 

Another avenue suggested by literature is to take the food application into consideration and use the microbial levels dictated for that particular food. Is this a acceptable compromise? 

Any input in this regard would be greatly appreciated

Regards, 

Pauline

Hi Pauline -

Can try this thread -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ing/#entry51211

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

PaulineSkillington

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback thus far!

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

I don't have copies unfortunately, but these are the testing standards referenced in the new version of CEPI's Guidelines for food contact paper:

ISO8784-1:2014 and DIN 54378.

There is also a requirement (under EU law) that the paper does not impart any anti-microbial effects onto food. This is the standard for that series of tests: EN1104.

If you haven't got a copy of the CEPI  Guideline, it has some good stuff on compliance programmes generally 

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

PaulineSkillington

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:45 AM

I don't have copies unfortunately, but these are the testing standards referenced in the new version of CEPI's Guidelines for food contact paper:

ISO8784-1:2014 and DIN 54378.

There is also a requirement (under EU law) that the paper does not impart any anti-microbial effects onto food. This is the standard for that series of tests: EN1104.

If you haven't got a copy of the CEPI  Guideline, it has some good stuff on compliance programmes generally 

Thanks for the latest version of the CEPI guideline! This will be very helpful.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paperboard packaging, Microbiological quality, risk assessment, regulations, dairymans standard, test methods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users