• Quick Navigation
Photo

Control of Dressings and Plasters (band aids)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:44 AM

In the food industry plasters (band aids) should be blue, metal detectable and waterproof, but what about controlling their use. Do we need to log their issue, is full traceability required - if so has anyone got a document template to share? :thumbup:

Cheers,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

Hi Simon,

In the packaging industry under BRC IoP also the blue band aids are the rule.
We do not log the use or have traceability on band aids.
The rules are simple:
1. no other than blue band aids allowed in medium and high risk area's
2. the shift leader is responsible for the decision if a person can work or not with an injury that is covered by band aids. Size and place of the injury are leading here.

In practice this works fine.

Have a nice day, Okido

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:04 AM

Dear Simon,

This is a point that auditors often like to bring up. In our factory the issue of plasters is always recorded (but not plasters are not accounted for at the end of shift!). When we have a new delivery of plasters they are tested through the metal detectors to ensure they are detected and records kept of tests and batch codes. On a monthly basis a plaster is also checked and details recorded. We have never had a plaster back in a product :thumbup: . I used to work in a factory where the employees name and the date was written on each plaster when issued, I'm not sure that it really made any difference but the auditors liked it. If you haven't got a metal detector then a certificate of conformance / specification would be really useful.

Cheers

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thanks Yorky and Okido for the tips. Another important bit to this is what you do when an employee realises they have cut themselves. I suppose they should stop work immediatley and a risk assessment be carried out to identify if and what product is contaminated; decision whether to scrap, rework and even invoke a product recall if nescessary.

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Thanked by 1 Member:

suemal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Yorky and Okido for the tips. Another important bit to this is what you do when an employee realises they have cut themselves. I suppose they should stop work immediatley and a risk assessment be carried out to identify if and what product is contaminated; decision whether to scrap, rework and even invoke a product recall if nescessary.

Simon

Hi Simon
I have just purchased new first aid kits, the plasters (which are detectable etc) are at the front of the box and when you remove one the backing peels away, this is to stop staff helping themselves unecessaryilly!!! only the first aiders have the tool to open that section, therefore you know how much you started off with and when they run out you will know you used x amount!!
hope this helps
sue

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:07 AM

That sounds like a good idea. Can you let me know where you get them from Sue.

Thanks,
Simon

suemal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:04 AM

That sounds like a good idea. Can you let me know where you get them from Sue.

Thanks,
Simon

the link is below:
http://www.wallaceca...n.com/products/
they are called pilproof plasters and they do them in blue etc

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2006 - 07:54 AM

Thank you Sue.

Simon

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:20 AM

Dear all:

There is a requirement in GMP mentioned that workers with open cut / sore etc are not allowed to work in the processing are. In this case we can send them to do other low risk job and a common plaster will do, right? Why we still need to use the special blue metal strip plaster – somebody bombarded me with this statement.

What Yorkshire mentioned is true. A friend of mine even suggest us to collect back the used plaster to ensure that no any single plaster will accidentally blended in your end product. Oh not, who dare to do this if the wound is full of pus!!!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 February 2007 - 04:57 PM

Dear YongYM,

In addition to the ability to check for lost plasters, it is possible that manufacturers of such also have links with companies selling metal detectors :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

There is a requirement in GMP mentioned that workers with open cut / sore etc are not allowed to work in the processing are. In this case we can send them to do other low risk job and a common plaster will do, right? Why we still need to use the special blue metal strip plaster – somebody bombarded me with this statement.

What Yorkshire mentioned is true. A friend of mine even suggest us to collect back the used plaster to ensure that no any single plaster will accidentally blended in your end product. Oh not, who dare to do this if the wound is full of pus!!!

multi-coloured puss what a lovely thought. :unsure:

I wonder if there has EVER been a plaster / band aid found in a food product and to be honest who cares, it's not like it's going to hurt anyone - is it?

Anyone care to assess the risk?

Simon

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

Dear all:

A scenario for you Yong

a customer complains that they have found a "common plaster" in the product manufactured by you.
How will you demonstrate that it couldnt have come from your factory? no process is 100% fool proof.

if i was you id stick to blue plaster regardless where they are on site (including office staff). they're blue so that they can be visually detected as well as being metal detectable.

as an aside, you should check every batch of plasters you buy in through the metal detector and record the date/ batch number etc.

as for "collecting used plaster" its a bit extreme, at the end of the shift all you will need to do is verify that the staff member still has the plaster on. if a plaster is needed next day, a new clean plaster should be issued at the start of the shift by a first aider.

im not a fan of plaster dispenser dotted around factories.....how can you control them?

Caz

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:39 PM

A scenario for you Yong

a customer complains that they have found a "common plaster" in the product manufactured by you.
How will you demonstrate that it couldnt have come from your factory? no process is 100% fool proof.

if i was you id stick to blue plaster regardless where they are on site (including office staff). they're blue so that they can be visually detected as well as being metal detectable.

as an aside, you should check every batch of plasters you buy in through the metal detector and record the date/ batch number etc.

as for "collecting used plaster" its a bit extreme, at the end of the shift all you will need to do is verify that the staff member still has the plaster on. if a plaster is needed next day, a new clean plaster should be issued at the start of the shift by a first aider.

im not a fan of plaster dispenser dotted around factories.....how can you control them?

Caz

That's it just dismiss my opinion. :smile:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:49 PM

That's it just dismiss my opinion. :smile:

:o i respect you far too much to disregard you Simon!!

that's MY opinion :whistle: :wub:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 February 2007 - 09:53 PM

:o i respect you far too much to disregard you Simon!!

that's MY opinion :whistle: :wub:

Oh please. :oops: I meant to put a wink instead of a smirk. ;)

You have to be very careful in choosing emoticons as they can give the wrong emphasis. :santa:

Regards,
Simon

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

Dear All,

Seems like some additional smilies are required :rolleyes:

Perhaps more to the point -

What do you do if a worker tells you that his plaster is missing just after he finishes his shift for putting the shrimps in the trays ??

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

Dear All,

Seems like some additional smilies are required :rolleyes:

Perhaps more to the point -

What do you do if a worker tells you that his plaster is missing just after he finishes his shift for putting the shrimps in the trays ??

Rgds / Charles.C

Charles

you put everything on hold until you assess the risk. If the likeliehood is that the plaster is there you can either destroy the goods (and sack worker for not saying sooner) or go through the lot again.

if your customer is understanding you could ask them to look out for it, and return the affected goods if they find it!

Cx

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

Dear Cazx,

You must have a very quiet production floor (cows?) !

Nonetheless, a brave reply although I would be interested to know the risk level at which you decide no further action required (I forgot to mention that the trays were aluminium).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

Dear Cazx,

You must have a very quiet production floor (cows?) !

Nonetheless, a brave reply although I would be interested to know the risk level at which you decide no further action required (I forgot to mention that the trays were aluminium).

Rgds / Charles.C

LOL Charles i have 11 factories and 63 depots to look after....anything but quiet!!
And i'm not being brave, just cautious.

Being a woman, and therefore able to think outside of the box, i would decant my prawns from my aluminium trays into plastic ones, pass through the metal detector and then decant back into aluminium trays. This would all be done as hygenically as possible. whilst i appreciate there is a cost involved it has to be weighted up against the cost of bad publicity!(and maybe the cost of a product recall under the insistence of a supermarket)

If i couldn't find the plaster, I'D be satisfied that i could at least demonstrate that i had attempted to investigate!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 February 2007 - 10:35 AM

Dear Casx,

Have you ever tried decanting frozen glazed shrimp from a tray??
Regardless, the last line is the winner :clap: :clap: .

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 February 2007 - 09:45 PM

I'd ring Caz and ask her to come and decant my trays on nights. Double time. :biggrin:

gmd

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

I have a few questions about controlling band aids and I need all of your help. We are a high risk food packaging manufacturer and are trying for certification to Issue 4.  We don't use metal detectors but if we had one and tested the band aids and recorded the lots and then trained our employees to alert management if one comes up missing - would this be enough as far as controlling the band aids? 

I appreciate your help! :helpplease:

gmd

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

In the food industry plasters (band aids) should be blue, metal detectable and waterproof, but what about controlling their use. Do we need to log their issue, is full traceability required - if so has anyone got a document template to share? :thumbup:

Cheers,
Simon

Our facility purchases the metal detectable band aids (plasters) from a company called Zee medical http://www.zeemedical.com/. Upon receiving the QA department will check the bandages to ensure they are metal detectable. We will log the lot number of the bandages along with keeping a sample. This is logged into a binder. The bandages are kept in the production supervisor's office to issue. When they are issued out we log who it is being issued to. In the event that one is lost we can identify who lost it.

There are of course other policies in place that state the associate must wear a glove over the bandage and also covers what to do in the event of a blood borne incident.

David Pham

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have a few questions about controlling band aids and I need all of your help. We are a high risk food packaging manufacturer and are trying for certification to Issue 4.  We don't use metal detectors but if we had one and tested the band aids and recorded the lots and then trained our employees to alert management if one comes up missing - would this be enough as far as controlling the band aids? 

I appreciate your help! :helpplease:

gmd

They are currently on v6, how are you being audited for v4?

Thanked by 1 Member:
gmd

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:48 PM

They are currently on v6, how are you being audited for v4?

The BRC/IOP Food Packaging standards is currently on Version 4 David.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users