• Quick Navigation
Photo

Isopropyl Alcohol allowed for Food Contact Surfaces?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

redhotchillipeppers

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 29 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Hi there,

I have a question about the use of Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning & sanitation & disinfecting programs for dry food manufacture/packaging: basically, are there any restrictions against using isopropyl alcohol for disinfecting food contact surfaces (aside from organic products--that is we do not process organic products)? 

While our cleaning and sanitation program is pretty good and we have invested in a lot of services, much of which is through EcoLab (which seems to be a crowd favorite on here), I just want to have our facility take the extra precaution of eradicating any pathogens that can be an unknown risk (even though we're a low-risk facility). I was reading online and it seems that IPA is fairly effective as a disinfectant, and of course it's an easy, cost-effective option. Plus it has the added bonus of drying very quickly for a dry food operation, so it's a simple spraying at the end of the day/shift and it'll be dry in time for the next production run. We have mostly stainless steel food contact equipment so it should work great on it!

It seems that if it would be allowed in hospitals and operation rooms, I can't imagine why it would be prohibited for the food industry, but my logic might be faulty there...

Can anyone speak to any restrictions against using IPA on FCs (as it regards non-organic products)?

Thanks!

Misti2019

Grade - Active

• 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 June 2019 - 05:54 PM

I currently work in a dry food manufacturing facility. We currently use a product call AlPet D2. This is an alcohol based surface sanitizer that we use. I have attached the link for the SDS sheet: http://orchemcorp.co...lpet-D2-SDS.pdf

We do not get ours from this chemical supplier.  

Thanks,

Misti

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

I currently work in a dry food manufacturing facility. We currently use a product call AlPet D2. This is an alcohol based surface sanitizer that we use. I have attached the link for the SDS sheet: http://orchemcorp.co...lpet-D2-SDS.pdf

We do not get ours from this chemical supplier.  

Thanks,

Misti

I also have experience using AlPet - alcohol based, quick drying and FC surface safe.  According to the label, it is 58% isopropyl.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

Hi there,

I have a question about the use of Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning & sanitation & disinfecting programs for dry food manufacture/packaging: basically, are there any restrictions against using isopropyl alcohol for disinfecting food contact surfaces (aside from organic products--that is we do not process organic products)? 

While our cleaning and sanitation program is pretty good and we have invested in a lot of services, much of which is through EcoLab (which seems to be a crowd favorite on here), I just want to have our facility take the extra precaution of eradicating any pathogens that can be an unknown risk (even though we're a low-risk facility). I was reading online and it seems that IPA is fairly effective as a disinfectant, and of course it's an easy, cost-effective option. Plus it has the added bonus of drying very quickly for a dry food operation, so it's a simple spraying at the end of the day/shift and it'll be dry in time for the next production run. We have mostly stainless steel food contact equipment so it should work great on it!

It seems that if it would be allowed in hospitals and operation rooms, I can't imagine why it would be prohibited for the food industry, but my logic might be faulty there...

Can anyone speak to any restrictions against using IPA on FCs (as it regards non-organic products)?

Thanks!

The (Regulatory) answer may depend on which plot of Earth you reside.

Might consider asking yr local Ecolab.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:22 PM

Hi,

agreed - it is a question of local regulation

for Germany (and Europe): YES

No rinse necessary - but you have to wait until it is evaporated.

Rgds

moskito

MrHillman

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 51 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 June 2019 - 04:49 PM

We've used Isopropyl alcohol 99% for years, no issue. Some of the girls love the smell?

pghosh

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:59 PM

I also have experience using AlPet - alcohol based, quick drying and FC surface safe.  According to the label, it is 58% isopropyl.

We use Alpet D2 too when dry cleaning food contact areas. 

bensmith007

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:12 AM

Hello,

Ecolab already sell an isopropyl alcohol based sanitizer- it's called DrySan Duo, available as a spray or pre-impregnated wipes. It's 10% alcohol with hydrogen peroxide and other ingredients, works as both a cleaner and a no-wipe sanitizer.

We use the wipes in our dry processing facility and it seems to be a pretty good solution all round.

Ben

BarQuality

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 November 2019 - 08:18 PM

I know this thread is a little old. However, what are your thoughts for a company that only cleans with water and then 70% IPA. I feel this is not adequate. 70% IPA is a great sanitizer but I feel that you need to be using some type of cleaning agent.

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2019 - 03:48 PM

I know this thread is a little old. However, what are your thoughts for a company that only cleans with water and then 70% IPA. I feel this is not adequate. 70% IPA is a great sanitizer but I feel that you need to be using some type of cleaning agent.

What is the product/process? For the majority of food processing, one would need some type of detergent and rinse step to remove buildup. 

nwine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:16 PM

As far as efficacy goes, it definitely depends on your product/process and the amount of soil you're trying to remove. Have you validated your cleaning with any sort of surface swabbing? In terms of legality, I was recently told by an auditor that isopropyl alcohol isn't approved by FDA as a no-rinse sanitizer, though I haven't yet found any concrete information to back this up.

Like many others in this thread, we use Alpet D2 in our facility and are pretty happy with it.

mikeq

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:17 PM

dose AlPet D2 take long to dry?

mikeq

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

Do you use the Alpet D2 liquid or the wipes.  I am thinking about using the wipes.  Because, I am using this product on packaging machines.

We only manufacture the paper board boxes.  We do not have any food products in our facility.  The boxes will be used for dry noodles.  Very low risk.

The machines are consists of  paper sheeters, die cutters, folder gluer.  Would be wiping down  rubber belts, the plastic, and metal parts that would touch the paper board.

ndri.singh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:10 AM

Its hard to digest my view on this query, 1st  IPA is a disinfectant not a cleaning agent, It should be used only if GMPs are breached. Otherwise normal dry cleaning is sufficient. Yes, to break the build up load, IPA can be used at a certain frequency like fortnightly or monthly basis on cleaning validation results.

IPA can be banned due occupation safety because it is highly flammable. 

MsMars

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 606 posts
  • 194 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

Do you use the Alpet D2 liquid or the wipes.  I am thinking about using the wipes.  Because, I am using this product on packaging machines.

We only manufacture the paper board boxes.  We do not have any food products in our facility.  The boxes will be used for dry noodles.  Very low risk.

The machines are consists of  paper sheeters, die cutters, folder gluer.  Would be wiping down  rubber belts, the plastic, and metal parts that would touch the paper board.

No experience with the wipes, but the liquid does not take long to dry since it is alcohol based.  

Thanked by 1 Member:

mikeq

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

MsMars - thanks for the reply.  This stuff is hard to get.  Back orders.  Thanks again.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users