• Quick Navigation
Photo

Acceptable spec. for aerobic plate count for environmental swabs?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

jiljilbean

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:10 PM

hey guys,

Just curious...what is an acceptable spec for aerobic plate count for environmental swabs?

for both food contact and noncontact sites?

thanks

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:49 PM

Hi, whats the nature of your facility? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

jiljilbean

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:00 PM

it is a cheese facility.

It is dry cleaned every day but wet cleaned once a week.

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:45 PM

The answer is...it depends.  Each facility, product, and equipment are different. You have to conduct swabbing on a regular basis and trend the results over time.  Correlate the results with any product micro counts.

A good starting point would be the aerobic count limits in your product spec, especially on FCS.

What you want out of your environmental monitoring program is for it to identify any hot spots, or trouble areas you have.  But, you don't want it to have you spinning your tail with a number of samples over your determined limit.

I think until you get a number established thorough visual inspection is key.  A surface is clean or not clean, easy to distinguish and tell.

jiljilbean

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

thanks ryan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2019 - 01:37 PM

hey guys,

Just curious...what is an acceptable spec for aerobic plate count for environmental swabs?

for both food contact and noncontact sites?

thanks

http://www.ifsqn.com...ces/#entry60958

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jiljilbean

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

thank you charles

howespodoll

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

I would recommend a focus on a stronger indicator species, such as Enterobacteriaceae. A focus on APC in a cheese making facility could be troublesome considering starter cultures.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:26 PM

I would recommend a focus on a stronger indicator species, such as Enterobacteriaceae. A focus on APC in a cheese making facility could be troublesome considering starter cultures.

Hopefully an appropriate cleaning/sanitizing program should cope ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:25 AM

I was about to say the same.  Also while I have seen factories swab for Enteros or even TVC on non food contact surfaces like floors, I seriously question the value add of that activity.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

Hopefully an appropriate cleaning/sanitizing program should cope ?

Unlikely.  Also you have to remember in cheese making there is a certain art as well as science (depending on the type of cheese).  If you went for a completely microbiologically sterile environment for some cheeses you would completely destroy their character.  It's a balance.  Also in many high care and high risk facilities you are not handling ingredients day in day out with the vast counts of starter bacteria that you have within cheese. 

Enteros give a better idea of whether there is a problem.  Having worked in cheese on and off for many years, I'd still go for enteros.  Occasionally we used TVC to validate our cleaning methods (as you knew it would be there in spades in the "pre" swabs then get a good idea of what the log reduction was) but to expect a sanitation programme to always deliver the kind of reductions you would need to never have counts?  It's going to lead to a lot of chasing your tail.

jiljilbean

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:29 PM

Thank you GMO

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

Unlikely.  Also you have to remember in cheese making there is a certain art as well as science (depending on the type of cheese).  If you went for a completely microbiologically sterile environment for some cheeses you would completely destroy their character.  It's a balance.  Also in many high care and high risk facilities you are not handling ingredients day in day out with the vast counts of starter bacteria that you have within cheese. 

Enteros give a better idea of whether there is a problem.  Having worked in cheese on and off for many years, I'd still go for enteros.  Occasionally we used TVC to validate our cleaning methods (as you knew it would be there in spades in the "pre" swabs then get a good idea of what the log reduction was) but to expect a sanitation programme to always deliver the kind of reductions you would need to never have counts?  It's going to lead to a lot of chasing your tail.

Hi GMO,

I don't think sterility was being envisaged. I was referring to (surface) expectations such as in Post 6. But yr comment may still be correct (see 2nd attachment).

For comparitive purposes, I attach 2 detailed publications containing (a) a development of a basic methodology of hygiene assessment of food contact surfaces as in a meat process, (b) an implementation of (a)'s methodology for a number of producers of pasteurized milk, yoghurt, ice-cream and cheese.

Attached File  microbial assessment scheme for FSMS.pdf   952.28KB   109 downloads

Attached File  microbial performance dairy processing plants.pdf   773.29KB   60 downloads

There may be some European preference for Enterobacteriaceae although, even there, APC still seems to be "in play", inter alia.

Attached File  Hygiene_indicators_Food_Microbiology_2014.pdf   220.89KB   107 downloads

Attached File  Nestle microbiological-specifications.pdf   911.91KB   117 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users