• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:45 PM

Hi all!
I have a customer complaint on a piece of "metal nail" found inside one of the packed of our plastic bags which we dunno the nail is from where? can someone help to provide some advise on CAR to be reply our food industry customer? Fyi the plastic bag is use to pack food (as explained by our customer ).

Thanks.
335d7577e6bbafc608484965b96854ea.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM

Please provide some insight on what you are making/ process, etc. 

I would be careful and would choose your words wisely when responding to your customer. 

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM

Hi cinaman,

There seem to be a lot of nail parts in yr products ?

https://www.ifsqn.co...er/#entry145747

You probably need to start thinking about Root Causes ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM

so that looks like a very small finishing nail, are you absolutely sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that it did not fall out of the ceiling or from a skid?  It almost certainly did not fall out of equipment (nails aren't used in that application) unless of course if in house fabricated machinery

Explain to customer what you plan on doing (counting nails in ceiling....etc) to ensure that this doesn't happen again.  It might be wise to complete you CAPA first (or at least start it) before you communicate things without being sure

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

cinaman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:07 PM

Please provide some insight on what you are making/ process, etc.

I would be careful and would choose your words wisely when responding to your customer.

We are blown film manufacturer we produced Plastic Bags for this food industry company, the nail found probably during our converting bag making process at our bag making room without mc operator aknowledgement.

Ryan H.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 56 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Sports, traveling

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

I would agree with the above. First, take a hard, long look at your process to see where this nail MAY of entered your process steam (Perform a Root Cause Analysis). This is fundamental in your CAPA process. Once you figure out how it happened, or your best determination of how it may of happened, correct the issue. If it was a structural correction (loose nails falling from the ceiling), take photos as evidence of it being fixed, maybe you added a new procedure to ensure nails are not coming from wooden pallets (Pallet inspections for example, etc.), then the policy/ SOP and training could be used as supporting evidence too. It sometimes can be difficult to determine foreign material root causes, but i would suggest walking your process flow and taking a hard look at how it may of happened. Then describe what you did (as mentioned above) to your customer after assuring them no more of their product is contaminated (which you need to do/ assess). if you already have procedures in place to mitigate metal from entering your process, than that would be one of the first places to start looking/ reviewing. 

All the best, 

Ryan Heavner 

cinaman

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:28 PM

I would agree with the above. First, take a hard, long look at your process to see where this nail MAY of entered your process steam (Perform a Root Cause Analysis). This is fundamental in your CAPA process. Once you figure out how it happened, or your best determination of how it may of happened, correct the issue. If it was a structural correction (loose nails falling from the ceiling), take photos as evidence of it being fixed, maybe you added a new procedure to ensure nails are not coming from wooden pallets (Pallet inspections for example, etc.), then the policy/ SOP and training could be used as supporting evidence too. It sometimes can be difficult to determine foreign material root causes, but i would suggest walking your process flow and taking a hard look at how it may of happened. Then describe what you did (as mentioned above) to your customer after assuring them no more of their product is contaminated (which you need to do/ assess). if you already have procedures in place to mitigate metal from entering your process, than that would be one of the first places to start looking/ reviewing.

Many thanks on the advised given.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users