• 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 July 2019 - 04:16 PM

Hi everyone,

I need your expertise on one topic.

We use roasting and toasting as a step to enhance the flavor of the certain ingredients, it is not the kill step since we cook the product once all the ingredients are mixed.

How long can we keep an ingredient at ambient temperature that has been partially heat treated by roasting/toasting? Spores are primary concerns. The ingredients will be cooked in subsequent step.

All the resources I found are referencing 'fully cooked product" and I need it for partially processed ingredient(s) that will go through the kill step.

Thank you so much!!

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:28 PM

What are these ingredients that you are roasting and toasting? Are they nuts? 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 July 2019 - 05:43 PM

The only way you'll know is to run an accelerated shelf life on your partially processed ingredients. Then work that into your existing program as a "use by" date once roasted/toasted

Nuts and seeds sometimes go rancid really quick once exposed to any heat, so have rancidity testing performed as well

Edited by Scampi, 23 July 2019 - 05:43 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 July 2019 - 06:18 PM

We roast fresh/dry produce. Seeds I'm not concerned as we use them right away.

During the audit it came up - even though we don't consider it a kill step heat treatment the auditor was concerned about spore formers.

Roasting/blanching is where she had an issue, I have to include it in the hazard analysis but I need resource to back up the time that I put as ambient temperature hold limit.

She had something like 2 hours but I can't find anything to support it. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 July 2019 - 12:37 AM

We roast fresh/dry produce. Seeds I'm not concerned as we use them right away.

During the audit it came up - even though we don't consider it a kill step heat treatment the auditor was concerned about spore formers.

Roasting/blanching is where she had an issue, I have to include it in the hazard analysis but I need resource to back up the time that I put as ambient temperature hold limit.

She had something like 2 hours but I can't find anything to support it. 

I daresay yr auditor was thinking about analogies to spore germination time, eg  in processes like rice cooking / baking products which are potentially vulnerable to slow cooling due B.cereus (et al.) spores.

(an analogous effect occurs for vegetative species where the max. cooling time after cooking is estimated via calculated bacterial generation times of appropriate pathogens)

There is a lot of classic/non-classic  material on above topics on internet, ie google. (+ this forum).

for example -

Attached File  chilling rate cooked rice.pdf   329.42KB   15 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

moskito

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 412 posts
  • 85 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 25 July 2019 - 04:11 PM

Hi,

I think any answer is very dependent on the specific product, the "physical condition" and the storage conditions. Only with these informations an assessment is possible - product specific. Once you have these informations cross checks with worst case products would be helpfull (accellerated tests).

Rgds

moskito

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users