Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

The plant wants to use 'Squid Ink' as a colorant/dye in baked bread products.

Is this considered an allergen?

Wayne,

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

You might wanna ask the supplier who supplies that ink. If it has the allergen removed or not? Any spec sheet that comes with it perhaps?

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:25 PM

The plant wants to use 'Squid Ink' as a colorant/dye in baked bread products.

Is this considered an allergen?

Wayne,

specific data seems elusive but most texts seem to regard squid ink as allergenic, eg

Squid and byproducts or derived products contain at least one allergen and may be subject to  regulation by FDA under this authority (Miyazawa et al., 1996)

Attached File  squid and squid byproducts.pdf   532.47KB   17 downloads

No allergens from Squid (Loligo edulis) have yet been fully characterised, although a tropomyonsin has been detected (1). The allergens appear to be present in the Squid’s body, ink and tentacles (2).

http://www.phadia.co...Mollusks/Squid/

Attached File  nz-allergen-and-sensitivity-chart.pdf   157.1KB   14 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

zanorias

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 811 posts
  • 245 thanks
Excellent

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Food Safety, Science, Paddleboarding, Space

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:30 PM

My searching generally supports the above extracts Charles has posted suggesting that - biologically at least - squid ink is an established allergen.

The Food Scientists's suggestion of checking the product spec or even packaging/labelling if you have it to get an inkling is a good idea 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1141 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

My searching generally supports the above extracts Charles has posted suggesting that - biologically at least - squid ink is an established allergen.

The Food Scientists's suggestion of checking the product spec or even packaging/labelling if you have it to get an inkling is a good idea

There are 2 types ...

1 - straight from the squid in which case it is an allergen.

2. Processed, heat treated in which it is not an allergen.

Problem is that commercial sourcing is a very difficult thing --- so KNOW WHO YOU BUY FROM and get all details, visit the facility etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Clanger50

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:17 AM

We currently have a Cuttlefish ink that we sell which is produced in Spain, as part of the allergen information on the packaging it says that there are mollusc, and the possibility of milk, fish and celery as there is a thickening agent in the ink. we also have a squid ink in jars which is also Spanish which lists the ingredients as just squid ink, water and salt. So most definitely allergens present in both product, unfortunately it probably wasn't milk and celery that you were thinking of along side the mollusc.  :headhurts:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:00 AM

We currently have a Cuttlefish ink that we sell which is produced in Spain, as part of the allergen information on the packaging it says that there are mollusc, and the possibility of milk, fish and celery as there is a thickening agent in the ink. we also have a squid ink in jars which is also Spanish which lists the ingredients as just squid ink, water and salt. So most definitely allergens present in both product, unfortunately it probably wasn't milk and celery that you were thinking of along side the mollusc.  :headhurts:

So Spanish labelling is (typically?) allergen deficient ?

EU requirements ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Clanger50

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:36 AM

Charles, an interesting question as the Cuttlefish ink sachets are clearly labelled but the Squid ink is not, under EU legislation all allergens must clearly displayed as part of the ingredients list so I will investigate further, but, we have several Spanish products and this is the first that I have found to be deficient, what I do find is that some European import products do not have translated labelling as they should do which is an issue. One which I feel may only become worse with Brexit.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users