• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:33 AM

Hi !

I would like to get advice regarding using glass bottle to store my raw materials in the production area. 

Our company plan to set up a new workplace to create an ingredient base (smaller quantity) before sending it to the production area to add in the other ingredient and finally become a finished product. 

I know that it is best to avoid any glass in the production area. Attached you can see that this is our plan . So we plan to set up workplace for our staff and all the raw materials will be kept in glass bottles.As you can see that in the plan that each production area are separated and we have to walk along the corridor before entering the production. Before entering the production areas, there are plastic strip at each area. 

In this case, can I just prepare the glass policy and SOP as well as glass register if i were to use it in the key preparation area only. 

Thank you ! 

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:48 AM

Hi, there doesn't seem to be anything attached to your post?

In any case, I think the question that an auditor (and your customers) would ask, is: why do you want/need to use glass for temporary storage?
In general the preferred approach to glass is to only use it where it cannot reasonably be removed - from the BRC Interpretation Guide ref. clause 4.9.3.1:

The company must undertake an assessment of glass and other brittle items in open product areas and areas where there is a risk of contamination of product or packaging and, wherever possible, remove these items.

It goes on to note that where they can't be removed they must be protected against breakage, although there is an exception where glass is used for final packing.

catherinepc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

Hi, there doesn't seem to be anything attached to your post?

In any case, I think the question that an auditor (and your customers) would ask, is: why do you want/need to use glass for temporary storage?
In general the preferred approach to glass is to only use it where it cannot reasonably be removed - from the BRC Interpretation Guide ref. clause 4.9.3.1:

The company must undertake an assessment of glass and other brittle items in open product areas and areas where there is a risk of contamination of product or packaging and, wherever possible, remove these items.

It goes on to note that where they can't be removed they must be protected against breakage, although there is an exception where glass is used for final packing.

Hi ! Thank you for your reply. We use glass to store our chemicals. if it is not allowed, we might have to use HDPE plastic bottles. 

I've attached in jpg

Attached Files

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:05 AM

Ok, in that case yes, HDPE may be a preferable option, but equally there are chemicals/ingredients for which plastic is not suitable and that may therefore provide suitable justification if you can implement appropriate controls. But that does also assume that there would be no other materials that would be able to withstand the chemicals you're using - stainless steel canisters/buckets, for example?

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 October 2019 - 09:33 AM

Original post - sounds fine to me as there are some chemicals, mixes, etc that can only be stored in glass.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

CHRISTBEARER7

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:50 PM

As long as it listed in your glass register with details regarding location you should be fine

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users