• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does anyone have experience with heavy metal testing in water?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

tde19

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 November 2019 - 09:35 PM

Hello All! 

I am currently working on revising our water and air quality testing programs. For water we do not use it in our processing at all, not as an ingredient or processing aide, nothing! We currently only use water for cleaning. Prior to this year our company was testing water extensively, like 10 page report extensively. I came on board a recommended a reduced testing profile of heavy metals, Heterotrophic Plate Count, E.coli and Coliforms. I found recommended levels for HPC, E.Coli, and Coliforms but am struggling to find acceptable levels for heavy metal testing. 

Does anyone have experience with heavy metal testing in water and acceptable limits for Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead and Mercury? I am having no problem finding drinking water standards but our products are used in pet and livestock. Our finished products are also testing for heavy metals to ensure our product meets customer standards. 

Any advice is appreciated! 

Njaquino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 145 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 November 2019 - 10:08 PM

I spoke to a lab regard the limits. They go based on EPA, so I think it is based on the drinking water. I would ask a lab and they will be able to guide you. I can't remember the numbers off of the top of my head. When I get the water tested I just ask to report as compliant or non complaint with the EPA water standard. I haven't had an issue with auditors. In fact, one time I had one auditor ask for the complaint status rather than the numbers.  

tde19

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:14 PM

I spoke to a lab regard the limits. They go based on EPA, so I think it is based on the drinking water. I would ask a lab and they will be able to guide you. I can't remember the numbers off of the top of my head. When I get the water tested I just ask to report as compliant or non complaint with the EPA water standard. I haven't had an issue with auditors. In fact, one time I had one auditor ask for the complaint status rather than the numbers.  

This is a great idea, thank you! I will reach out to the lab we tested the water at to see what they say!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:46 PM

This is a great idea, thank you! I will reach out to the lab we tested the water at to see what they say!

https://www.epa.gov/...ter-regulations

Attached File  EPA drinking water standard,2018.pdf   769.6KB   21 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

Parkz58

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 217 posts
  • 65 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

In the eyes of the FDA under FSMA, pet food is basically equal to human food in requirements (very, very close, anyway)...so, I would think that, if you're making pet food, you'd probably want to go with human-grade specifications for your water as well.

FSQA

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 315 posts
  • 126 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 November 2019 - 08:03 PM

Hello All! 

I am currently working on revising our water and air quality testing programs. For water we do not use it in our processing at all, not as an ingredient or processing aide, nothing! We currently only use water for cleaning. Prior to this year our company was testing water extensively, like 10 page report extensively. I came on board a recommended a reduced testing profile of heavy metals, Heterotrophic Plate Count, E.coli and Coliforms. I found recommended levels for HPC, E.Coli, and Coliforms but am struggling to find acceptable levels for heavy metal testing. 

Does anyone have experience with heavy metal testing in water and acceptable limits for Arsenic, Cadmium, Lead and Mercury? I am having no problem finding drinking water standards but our products are used in pet and livestock. Our finished products are also testing for heavy metals to ensure our product meets customer standards. 

Any advice is appreciated! 

IMO: Since Water is only used for cleaning purposes only, have you given a thought to change the heavy metal testing on an annual basis only. 

What is your source of water? If it is City water, you can find a report from the city water source for an annual testing summary, which in most areas do capture the data you are looking for. Keep testing it for the micro levels as some of the city water bodies do not provide it on the report.

In USA most of the drinking water data is set up with EPA limits. If its potable and safe for human consumption, it should be safe for pet and livestock.

Hope it helps.

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:56 PM

Hello, I see that you have already solve it, but it came to my mind this news, from Spain (sorry, it is in Spanish):

https://www.elmundo....ff8d8b45e7.html

Bestr egards,

Leila

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users