• Quick Navigation
Photo

What to do with NO's or N/A on a Food Defense Assessment?

Share this

Best Answer , 20 December 2019 - 03:59 PM

You might need to provide a bit more information about the checklist.

In general if the subject of a question is non-applicable then it's non-applicable, but the "no" ones are a bit more context-dependent. For example, no would be a slightly disconcerting answer to "is there anything to prevent random people walking in off the street and adulterating our products?", but would be the "right" answer for "In the past 12 months, have there been any instances of people gaining unauthorised access to facilities and/or products?".

Some of these may therefore indicate areas that you possibly need to look at improving / changing, but again that depends entirely on the nature and context of the question ;)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic
- - - - -

gomez89

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I had another question. Sorry for the inconvenience,

I'm going to do a food defense assessment, and basically after the questions are answered, what are we suppose to do with the NO's or N/A that were answered on some questions. I think it will all be a yes. but you never know.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,629 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:12 PM

Are you running an assessment or a breach exercise that will generate a checklist?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

jperri

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

I am unsure what assessment you are following? FDA Food Defense Plan Builder is a decent program to help you identify gaps in your food defense plan. Like you mentioned, questions where you may check off "No" may indicate that you do not have a procedure in place to cover that item/gap in your system and an area where you can improve. If questions are N/A, as long as you can prove they do not apply to your process then that is all you can do.

We focus on the following areas:

Outside security

Shipping and Receiving;

Mail Handling Security;

Processing Area;

Ingredients;

Chemicals

Information Control;

Employees;

Non-Employees/Visitors;

Emergency Contract.

I hope this helps?

Jenna

Thanked by 1 Member:

gomez89

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

Its a food defense self assessment , (checklist of questions ) 

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,071 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:59 PM   Best Answer

You might need to provide a bit more information about the checklist.

In general if the subject of a question is non-applicable then it's non-applicable, but the "no" ones are a bit more context-dependent. For example, no would be a slightly disconcerting answer to "is there anything to prevent random people walking in off the street and adulterating our products?", but would be the "right" answer for "In the past 12 months, have there been any instances of people gaining unauthorised access to facilities and/or products?".

Some of these may therefore indicate areas that you possibly need to look at improving / changing, but again that depends entirely on the nature and context of the question ;)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:22 PM

Add the No's to a gap analysis or internal audit corrections or something, and when denied the money for security and better cameras etc its at least documented you tried, and you have another though less effective means to monitor etc..

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users