• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

Hello,

We are building a new meat processing facility (no slaughtering, some raw meat products, some RTE) with the long term goal to get federally inspected and now I need to set the hygienic zones.

In all the documents/websites I read that hygienic zoning is based on risk assessment.

Do I take the risk assessment of my products in the HACCP concept or do I write a risk assessment based of the products we work with in one room (like what activities happen in the room, type of product present, potential hazards present in this room, etc.)?

I already know how my hygienic zones will look like (high hygienic zone for packaging, medium for processing, low for shipping/receiving) but I struggle writing the risk assessment.

Also any inputs on transitioning zones would be greatly appreciated. We will have a smokehouse operator which needs to go back and forth between raw processing and RTE. The zones are divided by the smokehouses and a small hallway for the operator. How are other processors handling this zone?

Thank you in advance for any inputs! I've been learning lots from this forum but this is my first time posting.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:49 PM

Hello,

We are building a new meat processing facility (no slaughtering, some raw meat products, some RTE) with the long term goal to get federally inspected and now I need to set the hygienic zones.

In all the documents/websites I read that hygienic zoning is based on risk assessment.

Do I take the risk assessment of my products in the HACCP concept or do I write a risk assessment based of the products we work with in one room (like what activities happen in the room, type of product present, potential hazards present in this room, etc.)?

I already know how my hygienic zones will look like (high hygienic zone for packaging, medium for processing, low for shipping/receiving) but I struggle writing the risk assessment.

Also any inputs on transitioning zones would be greatly appreciated. We will have a smokehouse operator which needs to go back and forth between raw processing and RTE. The zones are divided by the smokehouses and a small hallway for the operator. How are other processors handling this zone?

Thank you in advance for any inputs! I've been learning lots from this forum but this is my first time posting.

Hi jb,

There are various interpretations of hygienic zoning (I am unfamiliar with yr terminology of medium ??).

The detailed answer likely depends on exactly who is going to have to approve the finished result, eg CFIA, BRC. SQF etc ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jackobelly

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 January 2020 - 04:36 PM

Hi jb,

There are various interpretations of hygienic zoning (I am unfamiliar with yr terminology of medium ??).

The detailed answer likely depends on exactly who is going to have to approve the finished result, eg CFIA, BRC. SQF etc ??

Hi Charles,

It would need to be approved by the CFIA.

Thank you

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 January 2020 - 08:34 PM

Hi Charles,

It would need to be approved by the CFIA.

Thank you

Hi Jb,

In that case, you will probably need to determine some context/details regarding CFIA's specific requirements.

Regardless I suggest you have a look at this semi-generic risk assessment approach which is possibly of some assistance -

Attached File  Safefood360, risk assessed cleaning program.ppt   1.55MB   277 downloads

PS -  it is more usual if a zone-based EMP style is used to adopt systems similar to those in these links -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ls/#entry100060

https://www.ifsqn.co...am/#entry119334

Edited by Charles.C, 27 January 2020 - 08:43 PM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

Mariam Y.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:06 PM

Hi guys,

If I can add a question related to smokehouse zoning.

We are following BRC Issue 8.0 and I am a little confused as which zone to assign to the smokehouse.

We make Deli products, and the smokehouse is not a pass-through smokehouse (not sure if that's the right term or not). So, raw products go into the smokehouse (in trays) we turn the smokehouse on, wait until the cooking cycle is completed, then foam the area and wear RTE PPE and then open the smokehouse door to take the products out to the finished product cooler.

The area where the product comes out to is labeled high risk when the cooked product comes out.

My question is: what zone should the smokehouse be?

High-care or Low Risk?

Thanks a lot :)

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:31 PM

Assuming you are familiar with this:  automatically puts you in high risk, regardless of smoker style

6. Compliance Criteria for the Control of Listeria monocytogenes in Ready-to-Eat Foods
6.1 Assignment of Risk Classification of Ready-to-Eat Foods According to Consumer Risk (Categories 1 and 2: see Table 1 and Appendix A)

Category 1 RTE foods:
Category 1 RTE foods are those foods which can support the growth of L. monocytogenes. As presented earlier, Category 1 RTE foods should receive the highest priority for industry verification and control, as well as regulatory oversight and compliance activities. The presence of L. monocytogenes in a Category 1 food when the specified sampling plan and analysis are applied, will be classified as a Health Risk 1, as determined in Table 1: "Sampling methodologies and compliance criteria for L. monocytogenes in RTE foods". A public alert and recall will likely be issued if the food has left the control of the processor (Health Risks 1 and 2 are defined in Appendix A). The implicated product may be considered to be in violation of sections 4 and 7 of the Food and Drugs Act (Government of Canada, 2011a). Different risk management actions may occur in cases where the food processor is able, as part of the safety evaluation, to present data which demonstrate that the growth of L. monocytogenes will not occur in the product, for example, the validated use of preservatives, etc.

https://www.canada.c...html#assignrisk

you're saying you do a complete sanitation cycle, including no rinse sanitizer, prior to opening the smokehouse doors?  So now you have a wet floor that you roll these carts through, spraying water up the sides of the carts?   have you sampled that water?  Do you have enough time during smoking to get that shared space properly cleaned?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Mariam Y.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:46 PM

Hi Scampi,

Thank you for getting back to me on this :)

We have the product categorized as high-risk when it comes out of the smokehouse, so no issues there.

My concern was related to Clause 8.0 in BRC Issue 8.0, for the area zoning (nothing related to CFIA or the product).

All the measures was validated and the sampling done supporting that the procedure for using the product area (after the smokehouse) is okay, thank you for checking :)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users