• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is having a Garbage Area next to the Receiving Area of Grocery Items a non- conformance?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

AnnaClaudette

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:19 AM

Is the above a non- conformance? the property is designed having those locations. Reference to ISO/ TS 22002-2: 2013 Clause 4.1.1 Infrastructure (Paragraph 4) i.e. The layout of the building shall be such that it prevents cross- contamination of operations by partition, locations etc. Those 2 locations are also pathway during Garbage Collection although these are 2 separate closed areas. . These areas are currently not operational until the opening which will be on June 2020. I reported it as High Risk as per Risk Assessment. F & B Director re-battle that these layout are also  present with the other properties in the city.  I wanna hear your point of views. Thanks

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,231 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:12 AM

Hi Anna,

I would like to see a plan and the flow of grocery items and waste as this would assist in understanding your position. It doesn't sound ideal.

Relevant clauses ISO/TS 22002-2:2013 Prerequisite programmes on food safety —Part 2: Catering

4.1.1 Infrastructure

The areas or facilities incompatible with any hygienic operation of catering, such as housing areas, bathrooms, laundries, cleaning material warehouses, machinery rooms, and waste storage rooms, shall be separated to avoid the risk of contamination of the food and food contact surfaces.

4.1.2 Workspace 4.1.2.1 General

Different areas shall be designed in order to allow the proper arrangement of equipment and materials to avoid cross-contamination. For that purpose, work areas shall be clearly identified and marked, physically or functionally.

The reception of materials shall be performed in a protected and clean area. The establishment should have a designated area for receipt of goods and this area should ensure the hygienic management of all goods.

4.8 Waste management

Where it is not possible to have distinct areas for food entry and waste exit of waste, different times for the such entry and exit shall be determined.

Suitable provision shall be made for the removal and storage of waste. Waste shall not be allowed to accumulate in food-handling, food storage, other working areas and the adjoining environment except so far as is unavoidable for the proper functioning of the business.

Not sure I agree with the 'except so far as is unavoidable for the proper functioning of the business' in waste management!

Kind regards,

Tony

AnnaClaudette

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:35 AM

Dear mr. Tony. Thank you and I agree and have read also those related clauses of the PRP. I am currently seeking for the new list of the Statutory & Regulatory requirements- I hope I could find the closest description. I will send you later the linear work flow of the area for further analysis. 

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:17 AM

I am not sure I have a clear understanding but if you are collecting waste throughout the building and only transporting it then there can be some leeway.  You will need to get the trash out of there somehow.  On the other hand, if your garbage area is not in a separate room and it is being used somewhere very close tot he production area then you will run into cross contamination issues and are right to see it as an issue.  Tony is on point here with his ideas and I would say that if you cannot move the location of the waste, which it appears you cannot, then you need to conduct your cleaning and transport of waste during non-production times.  This will mitigate the problem of contamination.

4.8 Waste management

Where it is not possible to have distinct areas for food entry and waste exit of waste, different times for the such entry and exit shall be determined.

Suitable provision shall be made for the removal and storage of waste. Waste shall not be allowed to accumulate in food-handling, food storage, other working areas and the adjoining environment except so far as is unavoidable for the proper functioning of the business.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

AnnaClaudette

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:35 AM

I have sketched the location with the item flow. Please review and feedback. Thank you.

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

Not seeing anything Anna.  Can you attach it to your post?

Brendan Triplett

AnnaClaudette

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

I have sketched the location with the item flow direction. Please review and feedback. Thank you.

Attached Files

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:52 AM

I am assuming the yellow blocks are rooms.  If that is true then you have the garbage collection area separated by walls which is good.  Are you collecting trash as you move through the areas and then leaving it at the collection area?  Do you utilize the service lift for product and for trash or just for received product to storage and production?  Sorry for all of the questions but it helps to zero in on what each area is used for.

I am feeling more and more that shutting down receiving for a period of sanitation might not be a bad idea.  Especially if you are receiving bulk or exposed product with a high risk of contamination.

Brendan Triplett

AnnaClaudette

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:13 PM

Thank You Brendan dear, I appreciate your feedback. Yes, those yellow boxes are rooms. The property has a Garbage Chute system in place. The garbage collection happens when the City Garbage Collection Units come with their trucks although we dont have the timings for now. 

Also, I recommended to the F & B Director that I will not close this findings for now until I conduct another Risk Assessment when the property opens for business operation already.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users