• Quick Navigation
Photo
- - - - -

Ambient air testing - Where to put the plates?

air testing

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BostonCream

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 March 2020 - 02:45 PM

Hello folks,

We are a honey manufacturer under SQF. In the recent ambient air testing, I noticed the count in hot room (place to melt honey) was as high as 100+ yeast and mold, and 50+ HPC. The plates were put on ground level, where it was dark and humid.

As a corrective action, I did another 5 tests at 5 locations in the hot room. This time the plates were put on honey tank edges (around 1 meter height), right under the ventilation fan. The results came back perfectly at 0 or 1 total count. 

I will dig into more research to find a proper air testing procedure in hot and dark environment. Maybe do a another comparison test at the same time. But can anyone share their opinions on this? Do you think the location/height is the reason for such difference?? 

Thanks!

#2 pHruit

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 473 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 25 March 2020 - 03:22 PM

Did you redo the test in the same location as the original plates, and/or do you have data from previous sampling in the same location with which you can make a comparison? i.e. are the first set of results actually anomalously "high", or is this typical of the counts in that area?

#3 BostonCream

BostonCream

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 25 March 2020 - 07:16 PM

Did you redo the test in the same location as the original plates, and/or do you have data from previous sampling in the same location with which you can make a comparison? i.e. are the first set of results actually anomalously "high", or is this typical of the counts in that area?

Hello pHruit, I did the 5 additional testing at locations different than the first time. I think the fist result was "high" as compared to last year.

I will maybe do a comparison test at both locations at the same time.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

EV SSL Certificate