So, we are an SQF certified bean/pea/lentil manufacturing plant in California that handles sorting, washing, destoning, conditioning, cooking, drying, blending and packaging. As far as sanitation goes, everyone here seems to have their own idea as to what is required.
Here is some background info:
1) Most of our products are very similar as far as ingredients
2) Dry cleaning is most commonly used on our processing equipment
Mainly the questions I am looking to answer are:
1) Can we leave product in a hopper over night (up to 24 hours) to be continued the next day if it is covered?
2) Can it still be considered the same production lot when continuing the following day?
3) How long can we wait to test a piece of equipment after sanitation?
4) If we test a piece of equipment after sanitation, how long is it deemed "clean and ready to use" before we have to test again?
5) Is cleaning required in between like products on the same equipment? (i.e. mixing pinto beans + oil, then mixing black beans + oil, then mixing pinto beans + oil + spice, then mixing pinto beans + oil + spice + second spice)
For some reason I keep thinking of a 4 hour rule I had read somewhere, but I cannot seem to recall where I had heard of it. Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated!