• Quick Navigation
Photo

Employees ignoring stay-at-home orders and social distancing outside of work?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

AW99

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 7 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:10 PM

I live in a western US state that is still under stay-at-home orders except for essential business and the slow roll out of other industries. Recently I was upset hearing some employees talking about hanging out with friends the night before and then making plans for an upcoming birthday party. I did playfully scold them, saying I would have a drink at home to celebrate their birthday and remind them they should be staying home when not at work. I know the stay at home and social-distancing is wearing on people. I also know we can't control employees’ lives outside of work. But it’s these sort of activities that will extend our virus problems. This is so frustrating and makes me more nervous about attending work and whether we’re doing enough at our company to prevent an outbreak.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have thoughts or advice?

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

Yes, we have it too, but it is not as apparent.  I can tell we have the problem because we have seen a sharp uptick in our employees being out sick.  In my QA department we've had 4 people this last week become ill / sick, not necessarily COVID related, but it tells me they are not taking enough care of themselves outside of work and/or following the stay at home orders.

We've had a number of production employees out sick, and maintenance as well.  Oddly enough, our logistics department (cooler) hasn't had any issues.  Maybe it is the 35 degree temperature?

At any rate...there isn't much you can do other than plead with your employees to take care of themselves outside of work  However, what's the real risk to them if they are not immunocompromised or elderly?  Not much...they get sick pay when not at work and it isn't deducted from their PTO.  So it really is like free time off....it just sucks in our department since we have only 4 people (additional 2 training at the moment).

I've had to work 10 days in a row now just to keep us covered.  It is starting to piss me off, really, but there isn't much else I can do given the current conditions.  My hope is that I can impress upon our CEO the need for more people in our department; my boss doesn't want to hear it, the VP of Ops doesn't want to hear it, but I have an open line to the CEO so maybe I need to pull on that a bit and see what comes out...

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

I find it really frustrating that people will be up in arms at work then taking risks in the smoking shelter or canteen.  It's like they think it only applies when they're on the clock.

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 May 2020 - 05:32 PM

I find it really frustrating that people will be up in arms at work then taking risks in the smoking shelter or canteen.  It's like they think it only applies when they're on the clock.

Just like safety!

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

lol, how about employees who have another part time work? Maybe delivering pizzas, or grocery store staff during the weekend?? Or worst, working in a hospital or old age facility as cleaners or something similar?

We can never control hustlers and those people who likes to take advantage of the money in this pandemic.

So help us God!

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:31 PM

I get eye rolls and laughs whenever I move a sneeze shield in-between two employees, I am yet to witness an employee grab one and separate themselves.  I doubt much has changed after hours.  

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 May 2020 - 07:43 AM

lol, how about employees who have another part time work? Maybe delivering pizzas, or grocery store staff during the weekend?? Or worst, working in a hospital or old age facility as cleaners or something similar?

We can never control hustlers and those people who likes to take advantage of the money in this pandemic.

So help us God!

Our contracts require the employee to seek permission for any second jobs.  I doubt many do though. With 4 on 4 off shifts, I bet you people do other work.  It's frustrating though because the working time directive limits working hours we can offer them to prevent them overworking, getting tired and exposing themselves to increased accident risks.  Yet second or third jobs increase that risk of them having an accident at our plant.  I saw a car marked up with local council permission to use the vehicle as a taxi registration plates yesterday though.  Frustrating.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users