• Quick Navigation
Photo

Co-packing soup from non HACCP certified suppliers in a HACCP certified facility

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Foodprep

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:12 PM

Hello,

My company is working on a contract to co-pack soup. Our client is requesting to use specific ingredients which are hard to obtain from a HACCP certified supplier. They are selling their product to retailers who do not require HACCP certification. My company got HACCP certified a few months ago. We haven't had a CFIA audit yet. 

I am wondering if we follow proper segregation & sanitation practices, if it is ok to use ingredients from non HACCP certified supplier? I will create SOPs for GMP practices however, do I add this product to our HACCP plan? Are we even allowed to do this? I can;t find specific information on this topic.

Thanks,

Foodprep

Vladimir Surcinski

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• Serbia
    Serbia

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:37 AM

Hello,

First you need to check does your customer asks that you source from suppliers with the HACCP certificate. If not, you can ask from your supplier to follow the rules of HACCP including GMP practices etc. 

And YES, you add all ingredients to your plans, and evaluate that risk could be higher in case that supplier does not follow HACCP rules. You can also include supplier audit were you can go on their site to make sure they follow the rules (this could be costly). 

Pozdrav,

Surčinski

Thanked by 1 Member:

Foodprep

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

Much appreciated :)

El Molino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

If your customer is selling within the province then you only need to meet the provincial requirements - however, if you obtain your ingredients from outside the province under the new SFCR guidelines all food sold between provinces MUST come from a licensed facility and MUST have a Preventive Controls plan (which would be equal to a written HACCP plan).

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users