• Quick Navigation
Photo

What are your methods for training groups of employees to maximize engagement?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

asamples

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

Hi everyone,

I've recently taken over the refresher trainings for our company. Our previous SQF practitioner played very out dated videos and provided a quiz after. I found that a lot of the employees weren't really engaged in it at all. What are your guys methods for training groups of employees? How do you engage with them? Do you do a power point and then a quiz? I'm just trying to get some ideas on how to improve our training programs.

thanks!

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:30 PM

I'm not doing a group training due to specifics of our processes. What I do is: annual refresh training handouts to read & sign, and quarterly written tests, every time different questions (6-7 questions related to GMP, hygiene, food safety, allergens, hazard control, food defense, etc.) This way, I keep my guys aware of the rules and identify gaps if any (last year, I did a re-training on Allergens as the test revealed lack of knowledge in this area)

Thanked by 1 Member:

asamples

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 18 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

I'm not doing a group training due to specifics of our processes. What I do is: annual refresh training handouts to read & sign, and quarterly written tests, every time different questions (6-7 questions related to GMP, hygiene, food safety, allergens, hazard control, food defense, etc.) This way, I keep my guys aware of the rules and identify gaps if any (last year, I did a re-training on Allergens as the test revealed lack of knowledge in this area)

Thank you! That's interesting. What size is your company? When you handout your materials, do you gather them in groups or do you just provide to them on the job?

My company is about 120 people between 1st and 2nd shift. We have four different production areas, so we always scheduled three separate training sessions in a day. I feel like it could be done better and always interested in hearing how other companies handle this

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:54 PM

Thank you! That's interesting. What size is your company? When you handout your materials, do you gather them in groups or do you just provide to them on the job?

My company is about 120 people between 1st and 2nd shift. We have four different production areas, so we always scheduled three separate training sessions in a day. I feel like it could be done better and always interested in hearing how other companies handle this

My company is much smaller, just about 35 people, 1 production facility and 1 warehouse. As I'm H&S too, I'm giving people a lot of different training - so, I try to separate trainings and give maximum 2 per month as I've noticed that workers become overloaded and tend not to pay attention, so less efficiency...

Padfoot

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 97 posts
  • 6 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:06 PM

check out this webinar..... 

https://www.youtube....eature=emb_logo

I've always felt that having a training where employees are engaged or where there is something fun or funny always works better. I'm currently trying to switch our style of training in my company since we just hand out a package with questions at the end and most people just cheat anyways. 

I used a program in a company a few years ago called alchemy and it was really good, obviously it's going to be more pricey than creating your own training.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:03 PM

I've got a couple of clients that have developed video's on their own using their own employees, visitors and contractors - it makes everyone a part of the process, there is a bit of entertainment to it as well, but training is effective and has become something people look forward to. 

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:57 PM

Relevant IFSQN webinar: https://www.ifsqn.co...-effective-r184

I'm a huge fan of this one for using different approaches to reach different members of your crew. It was required watching for my techs: https://www.ifsqn.co...ed-food-safety/

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Fishlady

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 54 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:47 PM

We have used Alchemy, and they do have some good content.  The problem is that we have used it for several years, so now the long-term employees have seen the videos multiple times and tune them out, other than to respond to the questions.  It is definitely important to mix things up and keep them fresh.  If you are finding a particular recurring problem, then focus your training on that area.  In any case, try to add some humor or some element that makes it more exciting.  I have occasionally asked questions of the group and given out candy for correct answers (the training was done in the break room, of course!) and sometimes try to get volunteers to help me illustrate an issue.  Anything that will engage the group is helpful.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users