• Quick Navigation
Photo

SQF 2.3.2.3 - example procedure for developing and approving specifications for ingredients, raw and packaging materials

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Avryl

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:39 PM

Hi guys, I am new to the SQF and I have been stocked on the procedure for developing and approving specifications for ingredients, raw and packaging materials. Does anyone has an example for that? I am confused and not sure whether or not to create my own specifications and got too lost in this whole section. It would be a great help if anyone can shed me some light on this. Thank you :)

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:06 PM

You don't need to create your own specs for incoming ingredients, raw & packaging materials. I'm not with SQF but that's just common sense, isn't it? What's needed to be done with the specs is to review them to ensure completeness (e.g. nutrition, allergen chart, shelf life, storage conditions, country of origin, micro/chemical/physical characteristics, etc.) and compliance to your internal policies/programs, regulatory standards and GFSI (in your case - SQF) requirements.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1141 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

1. Welcome!

2. What does the word "Stocked" mean in this context?

3. you get the specs from the supplier, normally the term might be "mutually acceptance" such as what one our Ecom clients does - every specification is mutually agreed upon - thus the supplier signs off on them and the facility signs off on them - now they are accepted, this places a notice in effect to the supplier where they must contact prior to making any type of changes, etc.

Hope that helps.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:29 PM

1. Welcome!

2. What does the word "Stocked" mean in this context?

3. you get the specs from the supplier, normally the term might be "mutually acceptance" such as what one our Ecom clients does - every specification is mutually agreed upon - thus the supplier signs off on them and the facility signs off on them - now they are accepted, this places a notice in effect to the supplier where they must contact prior to making any type of changes, etc.

Hope that helps.

2.3.2.3  The  methods  and  responsibility  for  developing  and  approving  detailed  raw  material,  ingredient,  and packaging specifications shall be documented.

Actually, it may depend on what product we are talking about and the level of sophistication of the supplier..

Try getting a BCP specification from a fisherman. :smile:

I had to develop the majority of incoming food raw material specifications myself then get the supplier to agree, ie sign, for them.

@avryl - have you looked at the Guidance material ? What is the product ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

Actually, it may depend on what product we are talking about and the level of sophistication of the supplier..

I had to develop the majority of incoming food raw material specifications myself then get the supplier to agree, ie sign, for them.

Wow, that sounds like you're doing quite tremendous job, eh? I've never ever created ingredient specs myself followed by supplier approval, I use whatever I'm given - well, sometimes need to require more detailed spec, but that's all.

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:38 PM

Currently what I am doing in the Spice industry.... lots of fun!  :headhurts:

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1141 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:39 PM

It's funny Charles, but early on I did try to get a spec sheet from a fisherman (and I mean a 2 person day skiff operation) and the guy called me up and yelled at me and said - Hey, Buddy (Jersey accent added), look - it's a friggin' fish ok?

To which the owner (who was listening from accross the room) yelled back at the phone I had in my hand - You betta tell him what kind of friggn' fish it is or else... to which the fisherman, said flounder!

Had to be there - i was laughing so hard I got a headache that day in Orlando!

Edited by SQFconsultant, 06 July 2020 - 07:40 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Thanked by 1 Member:

The Food Scientist

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,057 posts
  • 268 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Science, Nature, SQF, Learning, Trying out new foods, Sarcasm.

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:42 PM

Hi guys, I am new to the SQF and I have been stocked on the procedure for developing and approving specifications for ingredients, raw and packaging materials. Does anyone has an example for that? I am confused and not sure whether or not to create my own specifications and got too lost in this whole section. It would be a great help if anyone can shed me some light on this. Thank you :)

Hello & welcome to IFSQN & SQF!

As mentioned, you do not need to create your own specs..the suppliers "usually" have them, BUT according to what YOU require, they have to comply. 

Like for example I ask for a spec for Cinnamon powder, the spec did not include having a LEAD level spec. So I required them to have that in their on the spec sheet as below 1PPM. 

Everything in food is science. The only subjective part is when you eat it. - Alton Brown.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:44 PM

It's funny Charles, but early on I did try to get a spec sheet from a fisherman (and I mean a 2 person day skiff operation) and the guy called me up and yelled at me and said - Hey, Buddy (Jersey accent added), look - it's a friggin' fish ok?

To which the owner (who was listening from accross the room) yelled back at the phone I had in my hand - You betta tell him what kind of friggn' fish it is or else... to which the fisherman, said flounder!

Had to be there - i was laughing so hard I got a headache that day in Orlando!

Nice one.

But it's less funny when the Customs tell you that your Red Snapper is actually a different species to the one's allowed.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:45 PM

Oh, yes - that reminded me the time when I worked for a bakery and how hard it was to get ingred. specs from old-fashioned 70 or something-year old guy. He said to me: I've been in this business for 30 years and never heard of specifications or whatever you mean, I'm old-fashioned and not going to change...

Avryl

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2020 - 10:43 PM

Hey guys, thanks for your prompt replies and advices. I was not thinking of making my own specs but the clause 2.3.2.3 "developing and approving detailed raw material, ingredient and packaging specifications shall be documented" got me confused on what I have to do to "develop" the specs. I have read other relevant threads and some said that they created their own specs with their own requirements.

Should I create our own standards specifications with our company's requirements like Name of the material, intended use, hazard analysis & parameters, company or customer requirements, required documentation and the review date? Or that'd be too detailed? 

Or can I just mention that we will receive specs from the suppliers and have mutual agreement on the material specifications like ? Which is the better way to comply with the SQF code?

I am sorry if it does not make any sense but I am just trying to be thorough but I am worried that I might put too much unnecessary information sometimes since this is going to be my first SQF Audit and I'm nervous about it :'(

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2020 - 01:45 AM

Hey guys, thanks for your prompt replies and advices. I was not thinking of making my own specs but the clause 2.3.2.3 "developing and approving detailed raw material, ingredient and packaging specifications shall be documented" got me confused on what I have to do to "develop" the specs. I have read other relevant threads and some said that they created their own specs with their own requirements.

Should I create our own standards specifications with our company's requirements like Name of the material, intended use, hazard analysis & parameters, company or customer requirements, required documentation and the review date? Or that'd be too detailed? 

Or can I just mention that we will receive specs from the suppliers and have mutual agreement on the material specifications like ? Which is the better way to comply with the SQF code?

I am sorry if it does not make any sense but I am just trying to be thorough but I am worried that I might put too much unnecessary information sometimes since this is going to be my first SQF Audit and I'm nervous about it :'(

Hi Avryl,

just to repeat, you should study the guidance -

The auditor will seek evidence of the existence and currency of material specifications and a procedure for
developing and approving specifications at the desk audit.
  During the first and subsequent site audits, the
auditor will confirm compliance to this procedure; the material specification register and the process for
checking compliance to specifications, validating specifications and ensuring relevant employees have
access to current copies of specifications (refer to 2.2.1). 

Evidence will be sought by interview, review of specifications and  record review, and may include:

•  Review of the procedure for developing and approving specifications;

•  Confirmation  that  the  register  of  raw  and  packaging  material  specifications  includes  all  on-site
materials;

•  Review of a selected sample of material specifications to confirm agreement with relevant legislation;
•  Review of a selected sample of material specifications, in particular for high risk materials, to ensure
potential factors impacting on product safety are included;

etc (there is a lot more before and some after)

also, inter alia, see -

https://www.ifsqn.co...23/#entry125962

https://www.ifsqn.co...ns/#entry138140

https://www.ifsqn.co...rs/#entry122267

Not a SQF user myself but the conclusion from above links seems  that some auditors may demand you develop your specifications but I think the majority accept either you or the supplier as the originator,  the important thing being the existence of a "Procedure". IMEX other Standards it is critical that evidence of mutual agreement exists, ie signatures.

The amount of work and developmental difficulty will depend on the (unknown) specific product(s) involved. There are numerous examples/templates of typical specifications scattered over this Forum.

It is logical and inevitable that this element overlaps Supplier Approval.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

El Molino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 July 2020 - 07:42 PM

Materials and ingredients need to be to YOUR specifications - i.e. safe microbial levels; acceptable amount of "filth" in spices - how much fat content in your ground beef - % of heart vs trim in the ground beef - we have been asked by our customers to meet THEIR standards and we have asked our suppliers to meet ours in order to meet our customers'.   Purity proof of olive oil, temperature specifications on delivery - packaging materials used - all relate to "specifications" - i.e. standards of acceptance to your programs

Accepting a COA blindly from a supplier is not an effective approval process.  You need to write your own standards and the methods to assess those standards

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:40 PM

Materials and ingredients need to be to YOUR specifications - i.e. safe microbial levels; acceptable amount of "filth" in spices - how much fat content in your ground beef - % of heart vs trim in the ground beef - we have been asked by our customers to meet THEIR standards and we have asked our suppliers to meet ours in order to meet our customers'.   Purity proof of olive oil, temperature specifications on delivery - packaging materials used - all relate to "specifications" - i.e. standards of acceptance to your programs

Accepting a COA blindly from a supplier is not an effective approval process.  You need to write your own standards and the methods to assess those standards

It may depend on what you are talking about.

Specifications need to be realistic. Both ways. This is why contracts need 2 signatures.

Example - Our new customer's specification for a consignment of raw marine fish included a requirement for absence of Listeria. (Think about it).

Consequence was a (explanatory) request for a change or no deal.

Conclusion - requirement deleted, contract mutually signed and business proceeded.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

smgendel

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 12 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:29 PM

Depending on the specific ingredients you are using, you can use the specifications in the Food Chemicals Codex.  FCC standards include specifications for identity and purity, and include limits for  relevant contaminants.  

Jack_PlasticJars

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:50 PM

My company (food packaging)  just had our SQF Audit and received a minor for not having Internal Specifications for raw materials (ex. pvc resin). I was told that we need internal specs. to compare to what we receive. I have been on multiple sites searching for guidance and cannot find anything! If anyone has any information that may help, I would appreciate it.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 December 2020 - 04:59 PM

What part of SQF code requires to have internal specs for raw materials? Did your auditor refer you to a clause or anything else in SQF specifying that? You can object auditor's findings if you disagree. I've personally never heard of that requirement. Internal coding for raw materials - yes, but even that's up to you as soon as your traceability system works properly without internal coding. 

Jack_PlasticJars

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:07 PM

SQF code 2.3.2.1

The auditor said that internal specifications for key raw material resins were not documented. I had the COAs, SDS, and TDS from the company we purchase from, but apparently that wasn't enough. Therefore, points off. I have made finished product specs, but never made specs for raw materials.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:16 PM

I've read 2.3.2.1 and don't see where it requires to have INTERNAL SPECS for raw materials. It's a code misinterpretation by the auditor or lack of professionalism...

2.3.2.1 Specifications for all raw and packaging materials, including, but not limited to ingredients, additives, hazardous chemicals and processing aids that impact on finished product safety shall be documented and kept current.

Jack_PlasticJars

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:21 PM

Well, that makes sense as to why I feel so confused. Have you ever challenged a finding before? Will the auditor hold it against me at our next audit? This was his first time at our facility and he seems very detail oriented.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 December 2020 - 05:46 PM

I'm actually with FSSC 22000, but how different they're all, eh? That requirement doesn't make sense to me. And - no, I've never experienced that kind of comments from the auditors during over 10 years. Unfortunately, I can't say whether the auditor's going to hold it against you at your next audit, that totally depends on the auditor's nature:) However, if you're not going to object the comment - you'll need to address it and make internal specs for all your raw materials. If you're going to do it - make them as simple as possible to ease your work...

Jack_PlasticJars

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:03 PM

Thank you so much for your insight and comments. This requirement or interpretation of it makes no sense to me either. I am going to see what my options are once the final report comes through for me to submit my responses. I definitely agree about making them as simple as possible. Though I haven't a clue how to create raw material specs. Wish me luck! And thank you again :)

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:06 PM

Good luck! Making specs is pretty easy, let me know - and I'll help you. Just in case - my email is xxxxxx

Edited by Charles.C, 16 December 2020 - 07:59 AM.
email deleted, spam magnet

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jack_PlasticJars

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:10 PM

Thank you! I'm going to tackle the other findings for now and if I do decide to make the specs I will most definitely reach out. email - jacqs@rez-tech.com 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1141 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 December 2020 - 06:14 PM

@avryl - have you looked at the Guidance material ? What is the product ??

Interestingly enough we have gotten detailed specs from a fisherman.

We get 99.9% of the time.

I may not have been around the block as much as you I guess.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users