• Quick Navigation
Photo

Can we have a final QA check before packaging to monitor multiple hazards which deemed to be CCP s in previous process steps?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Jat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:26 PM

Hi guys,

In a poultry slaughterhouse we have Evisceration line, at final point chill tanks are located which connect it to Packaging Department.

Absolutely after evisceration, there are some hazards like remained viscera or GI tract pieces or lungs and Fecal/ingesta contamination. Then multiple hazards are introduced approximately in one spot.

Is it a good measure to perform a QA inspection of carcasses after all process steps of Evis are completed to monitor those hazards then fill out ccp records for ?

How should I name those hazards in Form5-9?

CCP#1

CCP#2

CCP#3

Monitoring activities: CCP 1/2/3 are monitored in Final QA inspections?

1- Is it a proper organization?

2-How an existing QA/QC check spot in packaging room (next Dep) communicates with different sections of a HACCP plan? Is this step a ccp? because it detects failures in packaging ?

Thanks ,

David SS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 21 July 2020 - 03:17 AM

I'm a little confuse here. What do you want to achieve with carcasses inspection? Do you want to see if the evisceration process went well or not? Why not inspect the product before packaging?

IMHO you only need to put all the hazard you mention into 1 CCP with the critical point is that there is visceral/fecal left in the meat.

"How an existing QA/QC check spot in packaging room (next Dep) communicates with different sections of a HACCP plan?"
In the factory where I work, the one who monitoring the CCP is a production employee or Quality control employee. QA is the one responsible for validating / verification all CCP in the HACCP plan. 

"Is this step a ccp? because it detects failures in packaging?"
To determine whether the packing process is a CCP or not, you must first determine what hazard arise in the product if the packing process fails? Can you eliminate the hazard after the packing process? (with storage temperature control)

Edited by David SS, 21 July 2020 - 03:19 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 July 2020 - 04:43 PM

Thanks David,

I have tried to mention different kinds of hazards in more details in different steps. however Yes, you're right. they all can be attributed to one hazards as defects(Carcass and Giblets). For Instance a fecal contamination might be reduced by Final wash then final wash is a ccp for that, but another hazard like remained Crop or GI tract can be eliminated just in Cropping process steps which is before wash. That's why inspecting all products in the packaging department is waste of time and it does not help me for reducing contamination because contamination have been already distributed throughout chiller water when chilling.

In fact I want to check them exactly before entering chiller.

Also in packaging we detect some hazards like retained water (which is partly QA), Sealing of packages and bags, The whole appearance of products and Labels(Best before dating), then it is some sorts of combination of food safety factors and quality ones.

David SS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:12 AM

I have a link to a HACCP document for poultry & meat processing. I hope this can help you determine CCP in your factory.

http://download.poul...ssing - v01.pdf

http://haccpalliance...ls/rawgroud.pdf

Thanked by 1 Member:

HCFtech

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2020 - 07:52 AM

We only have two CCP's in our poultry slaughterhouse, inside outside wash post evisceration - check 100 birds every hour visually and metal detection on mince and MRM everything else is a pre-requisite. we have a combi chill water cooler and an air cooling system which bring carcass temps down to <7 within 45 minutes when running at 9000 birds and hour. If you are running slower/faster with different cooling methodology then this could potentially become a CCP but our OV is happy we are compliant with poultry regs.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:39 PM

Thanks for your comments guys, that's a hot discussion.

I used Generic one as my template to determine CCPs but when I apply a logic chain of thoughts, the Cropping step seems CCP to me, because that's the step which eliminates pathogen likelihood to acceptable level and if it failed, remained viscera, esophagus or ingesta is a biologic hazard and this step is the last step which deals with related hazard.

In this way I determined CCP 1 in Cropping, CCP 2 in final Evis wash(Both are monitored at the same time after carcass wash every two hours), CCP3 chilling, CCP 4 Packaging which monitors Quality standards and some FS ones like(Sealing, retained water and surface contamination). I did not want to follow generic models in providing my HACCP plan.

HCFtech

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

Surely the wash after evisceration is the step that reduces pathogens to an acceptable level and thus following the decision tree process cropping is not a CCP but a quality check point? Also as I mentioned earlier what line speed are you running because two hourly checking is insufficient at our speed of 9000 birds per hour? Micro sampling of finished products to a schedule will ensure the effectiveness of the process. Chilling is entirely down to your system, but for CCP4 you have already stated that they are quality checks unless you are talking gas flushed MAP products with metal detection?

• Jat likes this

Jat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

I meant Cropping as a CCP because it seems a food safety hazard if there is any remained windpipe or esophagus or crop as well as a quality issue. I went over many poultry processing HACCP plans and my assumption is that most of them ignored such an important hazard. This hazard(remained pieces of GI tract) is not removed with any further step. Then,checking it before chilling and performing Corrective actions seems essential.

Our speed line is quite low (1200 birds/ h)and 2 hours would be enough, as we do multi specious every two hours.

In CCP 4 there is cryovac system, which needs QC check afterward to make sure it's working well. Factors like: how tight is the packaging,(Pressure of the cryovac), sealing line, retained water and so on. We do not apply metal detector at this time. instead we tried to eliminate any kinds of metal pieces from the plant, like staples or tipertying system.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users