• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

Hi all, 

There is a High-care area within the manufacturing site I work on. We have been experiencing temperature spikes in the room, and the thermometor was reading above 10°C, which is out of specification. We realised there are two air vents (they are fresh air that is filtered) and it is coming in on one side of the room. It is causing that area of the room to be a little warmer and then I realised that is where the temperature probe for that room is situated. I got data loggers and compared one side of the room to the other. One side is really cold, and maintains a temperature of under 10°C all of the time. The side that is cold is in the area where the product is prepared with cream etc. It is then blast frozen and moves over to the other side of the room (the warmer side) to be sliced and boxed. For now, at least the colder temperature is in the area in which the cream etc. is prepped but overall, the room should be more cold. I have considered moving the probe away from this hotspot as the overall average temperature of the room is under 10°C, however, I'm not sure what the best way to do this is in terms of food safety and also justifying my decisions and actions in an audit. Open to suggestions!

Thanks!

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,054 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:24 PM

Record the temperatures/take temperatures of your products. If your products are staying under temp - you have your justification.

EJ2020

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:50 AM

Record the temperatures/take temperatures of your products. If your products are staying under temp - you have your justification.

Great thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:22 PM

Hi EJ,

the temperature probe should directly relate (or be quantitatively correlatable) to the location of the hazard being controlled.

Process/hazard unknown (eg batch/continuous/S.aureus ?) but it sounds like you need a unit/methodology  for "refrigerating" liquids.

Also looks like you are going to have a substantial amount of probing/temperature monitoring.. Good Luck !

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: temperature control, ccp, haccp, temperature probes, high care area, high care product, high care, out of specification, dairy cream, CAPAs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users