• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to set micro criteria where there are no regulatory limits?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic
- - - - -

dear82

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 August 2020 - 06:43 AM

If a product doesn't have a regulatory limit for indicators like total aerobes and coliforms, how to make sure that it is safe to be released in to the commerce?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

If a product doesn't have a regulatory limit for indicators like total aerobes and coliforms, how to make sure that it is safe to be released in to the commerce?

Hi dear82,

The parameters APC and Coliforms are typically, eg HACCP-wise, not regarded as specific, safety-related microbial characteristics.

Other safety-related species, eg Salmonella, usually have mandatory/recommended specifications/limits either Regulatory or in the Literature. especially for RTE items.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,363 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:52 PM

Yeast & Mold limit is not also regulated either for products, or for the air. We've established our own limits which work fine over years. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

El Molino

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 62 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:57 PM

If you have high coliform counts or APC/SPC It would be a trigger to investigate further such as other bacterial organisms that are pathogens. Coliforms could be vegetative in nature - compare to what the levels of E. coli are.(fecal in nature)

I recently performed random annual sampling on an ingredient and a finished product where the APC was off the charts - I asked the lab to go further and check B. cereus and to my surprise was positive- however, there is not tolerance limit standard for this pathogen in our product/ raw materials - so we looked at mixed spices and spice packs to see if the handling of the outer bags could be introducing a source of contamination. It isn't always a level of tolerance but really an indicator something else in the process is wrong - you just have to be a sleuth

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users