• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:49 PM

Hi all,

I have found in my years of doing BRC and now SQF that shelf life studies are difficult to find results for, for pulses.

So what it comes down to is creating my own shelf life study to validate our best by dates.

The question I have is these are dry pulses....so what should I be looking for in my periodic testing of the product other than the usual moisture, flavor, smell, visual all of that. With a dry pulse (that lasts for years) do I need to be testing for salmonella and other such microorganisms? If so, how do I do that with dry beans/pulses? I currently swab equipment and product contact surfaces for environmental studies but what about the actual product?

ps these are not ready to eat, they are to be sorted and repacked into consumer sizes, then cooked before consumption.

Thank you!!!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:10 AM

Hi all,

I have found in my years of doing BRC and now SQF that shelf life studies are difficult to find results for, for pulses.

So what it comes down to is creating my own shelf life study to validate our best by dates.

The question I have is these are dry pulses....so what should I be looking for in my periodic testing of the product other than the usual moisture, flavor, smell, visual all of that. With a dry pulse (that lasts for years) do I need to be testing for salmonella and other such microorganisms? If so, how do I do that with dry beans/pulses? I currently swab equipment and product contact surfaces for environmental studies but what about the actual product?

ps these are not ready to eat, they are to be sorted and repacked into consumer sizes, then cooked before consumption.

Thank you!!!

Hi ehintze,

As you probably know, shelf lives are based on either safety or non-safety.

I speculate that the latter is probably yr case

If so the shelf life will be based on the most critical factor(s) in yr finished Product's Specification which knowledge  I anticipate already exists.

Generically, the Finished Product is required to comply with its complete specification at the end of its designated shelf-life.

So what is the Product Specifcation ? Current designated shelf-life ?

^^^^(red) - Standard micro. Procedures exist as used by Commercial labs (eg BAM). Do you ever have samples analysed ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ehintze731

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2020 - 03:18 PM

The product specification at all of these types of processing facilities is usually 24-36 months. 

We had a third party auditor last year that grilled us on it and wanted the data that determined that shelf life. Management at the time said because that is what everyone says, pulses last years if properly stored. Finding that proof in data was incredibly tough and I believe conducting our own shelf life would be the best route to take. 

On the company spec sheets it focuses on taste, smell, appearance, intended use and shelf life. That being said I have contacted an accredited lab to test for salmonella but is that even necessary? 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:18 PM

The product specification at all of these types of processing facilities is usually 24-36 months. 

We had a third party auditor last year that grilled us on it and wanted the data that determined that shelf life. Management at the time said because that is what everyone says, pulses last years if properly stored. Finding that proof in data was incredibly tough and I believe conducting our own shelf life would be the best route to take. 

On the company spec sheets it focuses on taste, smell, appearance, intended use and shelf life. That being said I have contacted an accredited lab to test for salmonella but is that even necessary? 

Hi ehintze,

TBH I'm surprised you haven't already encountered SQF problems over the aspects being discussed

Regret I have no experience with dry pulses but FWIW here is one specifcation for dry beans -

https://law.resource...as.46.2011.html

Hopefully some other posters here are in the dry pulses business.

If lacking direct knowledge/technical support, many people here seem to use consultants for shelf lives. Maybe as a one-off investment.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

ehintze731

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

Thank you for the help and input!!

SQF certification is a current goal....we have not had an audit yet and are just now working towards that at the new company, but with hopes to avoid these issues in the future. 

Thanks!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

Thank you for the help and input!!

SQF certification is a current goal....we have not had an audit yet and are just now working towards that at the new company, but with hopes to avoid these issues in the future. 

Thanks!

Hi ehintze,

Thks for info.

JFI, I attach an example of one generic shelf-life Procedure. It illustrates the potential complexities although the latter may substantially vary with Product and specific parameters involved.

Attached File  Shelf life protocol for processed food products,2020.pdf   364.28KB   48 downloads

For "dry" products, I would anticipate that moisture level is one frequently significant characteristic.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

McForman

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:24 PM

We had the same problem but we didn't have to do a shelf life study at least not yet, we based our shelf life off of customer spec. and they ask for 2 years, also keep in mind you will have to keep all HACCP paper work for the shelf life of the product plus a year  :spoton: at least for BRC. 

Thanked by 2 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

JFI, this document contains some useful tips about conducting shelf life tests, eg No. samples, frequency of sampling.

Attached File  Validation of Product Shelf Life.pdf   376.49KB   41 downloads

(eg Pgs 27-33)

The only obvious omission is that ALST is not mentioned. This, afaik, quite common methodology particularly for lengthy shelf-lifes, is explained in some detail in various posts elsewhere on this forum, eg

https://www.ifsqn.co...ct/#entry145107

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users