Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:45 PM

Hi, I work at a bakery where we dry clean everything. We try not to use any wet cleaning methods or chemicals where possible. (No egg or milk products are used at my facility.) So my question is based on the need for sanitizer. After cleaning utensils and bins with water and detergent, do you need to apply sanitizer? All utensils and bins are used pre-bake, so any biological contaminants would be killed in the baking step anyways. I like to think about my own home kitchen. I only use Dawn dish detergent then let my dishes dry. I don't get sick from not using a sanitizer. Also, all my other equipment is dry cleaned using brushes, scrapers, and vacuums. Mixers, slicers, conveyors, etc. With bakeries being such a dry environment, is sanitizer ever really needed? Our bakery is new to SQF. We were previously AIB which was A LOT LESS PAPER WORK, and they were okay with dry cleaning without sanitizer. I would like to think AIB is more of an expert on bakeries since it's their forte.

FSQA MKE

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 15 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Environmental Monitoring, FSVP, HACCP, Microbiology, Food Safety, Literature, Tennis, GFSI Solutions

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:47 PM

Good morning Steven,

Sanitation is different in a manufacturing setting rather than the home. There has to be higher level of sanitation & sanitary practices.

I'm not familiar with baking but it is true that the baking step does kill off most possible biological contaminants.

However, you want that initial bacterial load to be as low as possible going into the baking step by maintaining equipment clean & as sanitary as possible.

This is the proper way to clean & sanitize equipment, utensils, etc.:

Pre-rinse-> Clean-> Rinse -> Sanitize

To answer your question: yes, I would strongly advise towards the use of a sanitizer after cleaning. 

Sanitizers for dry environments do exist, as far as I'm aware. A local chemical company may be able to assist in this regard. 

Thanks!

Providing solutions for food manufacturing companies in achieving regulatory compliance, GFSI standard implementation, environmental monitoring solutions, and HACCP development.

foodsafety@email.com

https://foodsafetymuse.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,425 posts
  • 1503 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

Think of it this way

Every institution (hotel, restaurant, hospital etc) has to use sanitizer in the process of washing dishes, so you should too

Raw flour has been linked repeatedly to e coli and is NOT considered RTE prior to applying heat. The extra step of sanitizer use helps ensure you do not accidentally cross contaminate your facility and thus your finished goods

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:13 PM

Hi,

I work at a bakery where we dry clean everything. We try not to use any wet cleaning methods or chemicals where possible. (No egg or milk products are used at my facility.)

So my question is based on the need for sanitizer. After cleaning utensils and bins with water and detergent, do you need to apply sanitizer? All utensils and bins are used pre-bake, so any biological contaminants would be killed in the baking step anyways.

I like to think about my own home kitchen. I only use Dawn dish detergent then let my dishes dry. I don't get sick from not using a sanitizer.

Also, all my other equipment is dry cleaned using brushes, scrapers, and vacuums. Mixers, slicers, conveyors, etc. With bakeries being such a dry environment, is sanitizer ever really needed? 

Our bakery is new to SQF. We were previously AIB which was A LOT LESS PAPER WORK, and they were okay with dry cleaning without sanitizer. I would like to think AIB is more of an expert on bakeries since it's their forte.

Hi Steven,

Yr logic is not unreasonable that cross-contamination due post-baking steps is usually more critical from a micro. POV.   This is why EMPG programs particularly focus on post-kill stages where a microbial thermal elimination stage occurs. (Think about the cooling, handling, packing, storage steps).

The cleaning/drying process does reduce overall surface microbial loads but remember that in USA, various pathogens are Regulatory  zero tolerant for Safety if detected in the RTE product.. Hence the sanitizer.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,614 posts
  • 1133 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:13 PM

I remember back to my hotel inspection days when I kept finding the same cleaning issue in every room I inspected and then the head housekeeper told me she teaches the housekeepers to clean the guest rooms just like they clean their own homes.

Nope - does not compute!

Must sanitize - the method of course does not need to be wet however.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Private CONSULTANT

(Food, Emerging Financials & Supplements)

ceo - Goodstart Coastal Enterprises, LLC

United States of the Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cleaning, sanitation, bakery, sqf, brea, bread, rolls, dry cleaning, brushes, scrapers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users