• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is a high Yeast and Mould Count a quality or food safety issue?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic
- - - - -

fuse_23

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:01 AM

Hi, how you consider yeast and mould count, is it safety or quality issue if it is out of specification?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 June 2021 - 07:05 AM

Hi,

How you consider yeast and mould count, is it safety or quality issue if it is out of specification?

The answer might depend on what Produce is involved and the interpretation of "safety". I have focussed on HACCP "hazards"

IMEX "Yeast" is not considered a FS concern. Excepting the caveat above, "Mould" and Y&M count are usually not considered a haccp hazard. Some authors may disagree (see below).

Some examples -

Unlike bacteria, yeasts and molds are eukaryotic organism in the fungus kingdom. Most of them belong to the phyla Ascomycota and Zygomycota. Yeasts and molds are commonly enumerated in foods as quality indicators. They have no predictive value for the occurrence of toxigenic fungi or other pathogens. As a group, the yeasts and molds are diverse and can grow on virtually any foodstuff.

Attached File  YM-7.pdf   140.46KB   122 downloads

Yeast and/or Mould are not mentioned in the (non-exhaustive) list of Potential Hazards in the Draft FDA Guidance for Preventive Controls or as hazards within the (Appendix) Tables of Food Categories-

Attached File  YM-8.pdf   87.02KB   128 downloads

Generally, yeast and molds do not pose a biological hazard in food. Some molds produce hazardous toxins, but these toxins are considered chemical hazards.

Attached File  YM 1.pdf   63.54KB   90 downloads

Yeast and Mould Counts
Yeast and Mould (fungal) are generally regarded as members of the spoilage organism group.
However, there are no guidelines for result interpretation in any FSANZ document.

Attached File  YM - 2.pdf   749.65KB   98 downloads

Yeast and mold cause food to spoil but do not cause foodborne illness.

- - - - -

- - - - -

Some molds cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. And a few molds, in the right conditions, produce mycotoxins (or poisons) that can make you sick.

[!!!!]

Attached File  YM-3.pdf   165.06KB   69 downloads

Attached File  YM-4.png   136.23KB   4 downloads

Attached File  YM-4a.pdf   4.52MB   66 downloads

(HACCP) Types of Hazards

There are four types of hazards that you need to consider:

Microbiological hazards

Microbiological hazards include bacteria, yeasts, moulds and viruses. 

Chemical hazards

Chemical hazards include water, food contact materials, cleaning agents, pest control substances, contaminants (environmental, agricultural and process e.g. acrylamide), pesticides, biocides and food additives.

Physical hazards

Physical hazards include glass, packaging, jewellery, pest droppings, screws etc. 

Allergens

This refers to the risk associated with the unintended presence of one or more of the 14 EU listed food allergens due to cross-contamination
[!!!!]

Attached File  YM-5.pdf   131.18KB   64 downloads

Mould can often be looked upon as a quality problem and is overlooked in terms of HACCP work. It is not the growth of mould itself that represents a health risk, but any mycotoxins in the product that represent a risk for the consumer..

- - - - - - - - -

- - - - - -- - - -

In the HACCP plan, knowledge is needed about which mould fungi are a problem and whether these fungi can produce mycotoxins. A risk analysis must therefore be made of the consequences of mould growth on the products. It is also important to focus on air quality and ventilation, to prevent the spread of fungal spores around the premises

:thumbup:

Attached File  Ym-6.pdf   254.98KB   65 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 05 June 2021 - 04:29 PM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 527 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 June 2021 - 02:40 PM

I consider it a quality issue here, but it's kind of moot if it's out of spec.   Out of spec triggers a CA for me, irregardless. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 June 2021 - 03:06 PM

I consider it a quality issue here, but it's kind of moot if it's out of spec.   Out of spec triggers a CA for me, irregardless. 

Not from a HACCP  POV. (assuming "quality" = non-safety related)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:49 PM

The FS concern comes with potential toxins produced from certain molds.  As Charles stated it depends on the product and your environment.

About 8 years I had a hellacious time with a date supplier and aflatoxin levels exceeding spec.  Aflatoxin is produced by molds Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus.  If you have a recurring mold problem I would have the specific genres and species identified.  But, you should still take care of root cause of the mold regardless.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 June 2021 - 02:57 PM

IMHO they are both FS issues

Yeast could cause product spoilage prior to expected BB date, and could also cause adjustments to a product pH 

Molds cause illness even by breathing them 

Charles, I disagree with your HACCP inference re: Y&M, both are always included in my HA and are listed on the CFIA hazard database

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:24 PM

IMHO they are both FS issues

Yeast could cause product spoilage prior to expected BB date, and could also cause adjustments to a product pH 

Molds cause illness even by breathing them 

Charles, I disagree with your HACCP inference re: Y&M, both are always included in my HA and are listed on the CFIA hazard database

Hi Scampi,

Product spoilage is regarded as a hazard by CFIA ?

Re Yeast - Great !. You can be the first person (?)  to ask CFIA how they justify their "blanket" inclusion.

I guess Brie is banned in Canada,

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:39 PM

Yes, if product spoils BEFORE the validated best before date, it's a FS issue......you're legally bound by the dating 

Brie is not banned, and neither is blue cheese

but if I produce a shelf stable product that is no longer stable due to y/m activity, that's a process failure

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2021 - 03:47 PM

Yes, if product spoils BEFORE the validated best before date, it's a FS issue......you're legally bound by the dating 

Brie is not banned, and neither is blue cheese

but if I produce a shelf stable product that is no longer stable due to y/m activity, that's a process failure

^^^^^ (red) Great ! Please provide a textual validation.

Seriously, all yeasts and moulds are obviously not FS hazards.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 June 2021 - 04:11 PM

"

Determining the durable life

It is the responsibility of the manufacturer or retailer to determine:

• if the product has a durable life of 90 days or less, and
  • the specific durable life information for the products they sell.

Food producers and retailers that manufacture food products base the date on how long an unopened product will retain its wholesomeness, taste, nutritional value, and any other qualities, as well as other factors such as the type of product, how it is processed and how it is packaged and stored.

The durable life of products or categories is not set out in regulations.

As per CFIA, the word wholesomeness is the determination

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2021 - 05:07 PM

"

Determining the durable life

It is the responsibility of the manufacturer or retailer to determine:

• if the product has a durable life of 90 days or less, and
  • the specific durable life information for the products they sell.

Food producers and retailers that manufacture food products base the date on how long an unopened product will retain its wholesomeness, taste, nutritional value, and any other qualities, as well as other factors such as the type of product, how it is processed and how it is packaged and stored.

The durable life of products or categories is not set out in regulations.

As per CFIA, the word wholesomeness is the determination

(Getting a bit OT)

Sorry but I don't see any mention of Spoilage or Safety (or HACCP. for that matter)

TBH, to me the above quote almost  implies that Safety is never a factor in determining shelf life. Would be nonsense of course.

IMEX "Wholesomeness" is (HACCP) interpreted as related to characteristics which are not  related to Consumer Safety.  afaik this is as per USFDA but Singapore no idea, eg -

https://www.fda.gov/...tion-guidelines

PS - I was unable to locate CFIA's definition of "Wholesomeness" in respect to "Safety". The nearest I could find was -

Egg Grading - By The Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Grade requirements are set for eggs to protect the consuming public from undue risk. In grading eggs, the factors of interior quality, weight, cleanliness and shell construction are considered. These factors are related to safety, wholesomeness and quality.

https://www.thepoult...les/egg-grading

(Maybe usage in Inspection/Haccp and in Labelling are different)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:03 PM

Contamination of foods by yeasts and molds can result in substantial economic losses to producer, processor, and consumer. Several foodborne molds, and possibly yeasts, may also be hazardous to human or animal health because of their ability to produce toxic metabolites known as mycotoxins.Oct. 31, 2017
As for CFIA, the word wholesomeness would shall this with the USDA
What is meant by "wholesome" in regards to foods?

Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Wholesome means "promoting the health of the body." There is no official United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) definition of the word for use in labeling a product. However, all USDA-inspected products would be considered "wholesome."

My ultimate point here is to simply argue that yeasts and molds should not be seen as a quality issue only

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2021 - 07:01 PM

Contamination of foods by yeasts and molds can result in substantial economic losses to producer, processor, and consumer. Several foodborne molds, and possibly yeasts, may also be hazardous to human or animal health because of their ability to produce toxic metabolites known as mycotoxins.Oct. 31, 2017
As for CFIA, the word wholesomeness would shall this with the USDA
What is meant by "wholesome" in regards to foods?

Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Wholesome means "promoting the health of the body." There is no official United States Department of Agriculture's (USDA) definition of the word for use in labeling a product. However, all USDA-inspected products would be considered "wholesome."

My ultimate point here is to simply argue that yeasts and molds should not be seen as a quality issue only

I can only suggest to have another look at the examples in Post 2

Our hazard analyses for products like yoghurt, kefir, bread, cheese will obviously be considerably different.

Edited by Charles.C, 03 June 2021 - 07:18 PM.
emended

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:02 PM

Adulteration is the keyword.  In the growth of yeast or mold does the food become adulterated.  If so, potential food safety issue.  However, FDA and USDA do not state specifically "food safety" rather they use the term "adulteration" or "adulterated".

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:21 PM

Adulteration is the keyword.  In the growth of yeast or mold does the food become adulterated.  If so, potential food safety issue.  However, FDA and USDA do not state specifically "food safety" rather they use the term "adulteration" or "adulterated".

Hi Ryan,

I suspect you are referring to FSMA, the poor man's HACCP.

No mention of adulteration in the iconic 1st FDA Link/Post 11.

Although it's certainly used as a fail-safe to sabotage any hopeful users of the HACCP metal 6mm  critical limit.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,329 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:28 PM

21 U.S. Code § 342 - Adulterated food

https://www.law.corn... unfit for food.

Hi Ryan,

I suspect you are referring to FSMA, the poor man's HACCP.

No mention of adulteration in the iconic 1st FDA Link/Post 11.

Although it's certainly used as a fail-safe to sabotage any hopeful users of the HACCP metal 6mm  critical limit.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2021 - 08:42 PM

21 U.S. Code § 342 - Adulterated food

https://www.law.corn... unfit for food.

And yet -

The fact that a food is contaminated with pathogens (harmful microorganisms such as bacteria,  viruses, or protozoa) may, or may not, render it adulterated.

Generally, for ready-to-eat foods, the presence of pathogens will render the food adulterated. For example, the presence of Salmonella on fresh fruits or vegetables or in ready-to-eat meat or poultry products (such as luncheon meats) will render those products adulterated.

For meat and poultry products, which are regulated by USDA, the rules are more complicated. Ready-to-eat meat and poultry products contaminated with pathogens, such as Salmonella or Listeria monocytogenes, are adulterated. (Note that hotdogs are considered ready-to-eat products.) For raw meat or poultry products, the presence of pathogens will not always render a product adulterated (because raw meat and poultry products are intended to be cooked, and proper cooking should kill pathogens). Raw poultry contaminated with Salmonella is not adulterated. However, USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) has ruled that raw meat or poultry products contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 are adulterated. This is because normal cooking methods may not reduce E. coli O157:H7 below infectious levels. E. coli O157:H7 is the only pathogen that is considered an adulterant when present in raw meat or poultry products.

https://en.wikipedia...dulterated_food

Again, no cross-links to haccp. Or FSMA.

Actually I just noticed that FSMA is oriented to intentional adulteration. Sighhhh

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 852 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 June 2021 - 06:07 PM

And yet -

Again, no cross-links to haccp. Or FSMA.

Actually I just noticed that FSMA is oriented to intentional adulteration. Sighhhh

Actually I just noticed that FSMA is oriented to intentional adulteration. Sighhhh  -  what are you talking about?  part of the law is food defense / intentional adulteration.   how is HACCP superior to  hazard analysis risk based preventive controls (poor mans HACCP)?

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 June 2021 - 02:12 AM

Actually I just noticed that FSMA is oriented to intentional adulteration. Sighhhh  -  what are you talking about?  part of the law is food defense / intentional adulteration.   how is HACCP superior to  hazard analysis risk based preventive controls (poor mans HACCP)?

Hi ksr1,

It's your choice (other than any Regulatory requirements), eg -

Compare -

At a fundamental level, HACCP focuses on preventing post-process contamination, whereas the FSMA food safety plan takes a more preventive focus, identifying potential risks and implementing appropriate controls to proactively prevent contamination. The food safety plan focuses on science or risk-based preventive controls, whereas HACCP focuses on CCPs.
Attached File  FSMA Training - HACCP Isn't Enough.pdf   679.24KB   18 downloads
(2016)

To -

The risk-based, proactive control approach used for HACCP food safety plan development is globally accepted as the most effective way for food manufacturers to prevent recalls, outbreaks, and associated financial losses. The Preventive Controls Rule has adopted many of the established HACCP principles while adding new terminologies and procedures for food safety plan development.

Attached File  Understanding FSMA - HACCP, HARPC and the Preventive Controls for Human Food Rule.pdf   2.26MB   22 downloads

(2020)

Any thoughts regarding Y&M ?

Edited by Charles.C, 05 June 2021 - 02:31 PM.
edited

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Meeting new people, quality and learning new things!

Posted 01 December 2021 - 03:59 PM

Good Day,

I know this is a somewhat old thread but I have a question. If molds produce mycotoxins, is there a limit for mycotoxins? I am having a mold issue in one of our chocolate bonbons. We have decided it is a quality issue and have made adjustments to the recipe. We have also included water activity testing. I just want to know the limit of mold in food and I have not found any even the lab can't find any and cant help me. I have gone through so many threads on this forum and so many online resources, there is no limit for mold or a guideline to follow. I am trying to decide if I should send out another sample to be tested for mycotoxins or aflatoxins? The lab also said that is the only way to determine if the mold is pathogenic or not.  I just want to make sure I am taking the right steps. I was able to find a limit for Aflatoxins in another thread on this forum.

Thank you. 

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 07 January 2022 - 12:27 PM

Hi,
There usually isn't a blanket level of mould allowed in a product. It often depends on your own product and process, and what your customers expect/require.
For a clean process, one should expect <10cfu/g mould, imho.
But manufacturers usually set a standard of <100cfu/g, so that they have a standard they can actually achieve. Hope that helps answer your question.

Edited by AnnMou, 07 January 2022 - 12:27 PM.

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 07 January 2022 - 12:30 PM

I've also got a question here.
We have had some cherry sauce that has had a tendency to have high mould levels. We are addressing this with our supplier.

Using it in our final product caused us to have results for mould over the spec of <100.

I do not see a food safety issue, as the final product is frozen and eaten frozen, thereby the mould will not proliferate.

We have therefore approved the product, but can you see any holes in my reasoning, come audit day?

Edited by AnnMou, 07 January 2022 - 12:33 PM.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 07 January 2022 - 04:55 PM

I've also got a question here.
We have had some cherry sauce that has had a tendency to have high mould levels. We are addressing this with our supplier.

Using it in our final product caused us to have results for mould over the spec of <100.

I do not see a food safety issue, as the final product is frozen and eaten frozen, thereby the mould will not proliferate.

We have therefore approved the product, but can you see any holes in my reasoning, come audit day?

My concern would be what the mould has been doing whilst getting to such high numbers in the sauce, or perhaps in the raw material for the sauce - for example, is this due to excessive growth on the cherries that are used in the sauce?

It's relatively unusual to see e.g. patulin issues in cherry, but it is possible (see e.g. https://www.research...duced_in_Turkey) so I'd be asking your supplier about this. They may not be testing for it - given that it is primarily seen as an issue affecting apple it is often not routinely analysed in other fruit for processing - but if there are lots of mould issues then I'd be asking about it if I was an auditor.

Obviously I'd also be asking lots of questions about their general raw material / site hygiene / GMP controls, but I suspect you're already on the case with those bits!

forrest

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 January 2022 - 07:26 PM

I use the micro for yeast and mold as shelf life quality indicators.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users