Cthulhu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Video Games, Sci-fi, Geology, Rockhounding, Museums, Meteorology, Natural Disasters, Cthulhu Mythos, Board games, Card games.

Posted 23 June 2021 - 06:36 PM

Hello all, we currently produce a granola bark product and the base granola is always the same lot number when we start a new batch. The base lot number then gets a suffix when we add garnishes to the granola base, I.e. the granola lot number is ####### and when we add sea salt for our sea salt granola bark we add SS to the base lot number, and cranberries we add CB, strawberries we add SB, and so on. For micro testing should we only be doing the bark base and use our CoA's for our garnishes or should we be sending out micro testing for each and every garnish lot? If wondering, our process is that we make the bark base and then it is cooked, after that we add our chocolate and then our garnish(strawberries, etc),and it is then packaged for shipment. The price to send out micro testing for every garnished lot number is going to be expensive. Is it okay to only test our base or do we have to send out micro for every garnished lot number?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

https://www.facebook...29416493974293/

https://www.instagra...m/area51miners/

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:19 PM

sooooooooooooo let me play devils advocate

You send out just the granola.............you test wayyyy over (it won't happen, stay with me)

Now you're in a situation that you need to recall every............single......................sku.....you made with that base

You did not test your cranberries...................uh oh.............they weren't handled properly by the vendor  and they tested positive for salmonella..................but wait, you don't know that yet....................because you only tested the base 

Now, had you tested every finished sku, you would already know the source, because only the cranberry bar tested positive.............you just saved the company a ton of cash!  

I've personally never understood why people test WIP.............you cannot guarantee that you have not introduced micro when finishing your product.  Employee hygiene (or lack thereof) is the largest single contributor to food borne illness

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Cthulhu

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Video Games, Sci-fi, Geology, Rockhounding, Museums, Meteorology, Natural Disasters, Cthulhu Mythos, Board games, Card games.

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:32 PM

Don't get me wrong, I want to test every sku! My owner was asking me if we would have to test every sku because of financial reasons. I wasn't sure of the answer and I do not want to mislead her. 

I typically lean to safety and quality regardless of cost because I want to be 110% safe if possible but I am not in control of a single cent on what we spend money on.

Edited by QAFSerik, 23 June 2021 - 08:35 PM.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

https://www.facebook...29416493974293/

https://www.instagra...m/area51miners/

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 June 2021 - 04:54 AM

Hello All,

We currently produce a granola bark product and the base granola is always the same lot number when we start a new batch. The base lot number then gets a suffix when we add garnishes to the granola base, I.e. the granola lot number is ####### and when we add sea salt for our sea salt granola bark we add SS to the base lot number, and cranberries we add CB, strawberries we add SB, and so on. For micro testing should we only be doing the bark base and use our CoA's for our garnishes or should we be sending out micro testing for each and every garnish lot?

If wondering, our process is that we make the bark base and then it is cooked, after that we add our chocolate and then our garnish(strawberries, etc),and it is then packaged for shipment.

The price to send out micro testing for every garnished lot number is going to be expensive. Is it okay to only test our base or do we have to send out micro for every garnished lot number?

I would anticipate that yr hazard analysis concludes this is a high risk finished product.

The logical answer to CoAs is the classic "Trust but Verify". Especially for this product.

As to the frequency/depth of testing, the usual approach is to initially go "high" then reduce if the results are satisfactory. The precise numbers will depend on the product specification, tolerances and size of lots (a lot = product(s) generated from same process-batch(es) of ingredient(s))

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SUSHIL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 162 posts
  • 225 thanks
Good

• India
    India

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:36 AM

First of all you should check your facility for
food safety riskk assessment of pathogens entry particularly
Salmonella like Rats droppings in store area,Rat controls,Bird droppings on roofs,drainage pipes in production areas,Roof leakages,Washroom,Toilets location from production area,Animals ( Dogs,Cats control) in the plant etc
Periodic Medical check up of employees.
Sanitizers installed near entrance of production area.
Quality of water used in production etc
( Take classic case of Peanut Corporation of America regarding Salmonella).

Also test your Final product for water activity
whether the product can support pathogens/salmonella growth.

Periodic Verification of COA's of Raw materials for Microbes.
Random Microbiological tests of final products etc

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users