Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2021 - 09:52 PM

Hey everyone, just started a position at a Tortilla Factory developing an SQF 9 system.  Looking at our shelf life testing program and was wondering how official y'all think we need to be with it.  I'm down for taking our product to an outside lab for testing but I'm also fine with what they've been doing which is: bringing it in and putting it on a shelf for a few weeks to see how long it lasts. They've been using no documentation as yet and I'm prepping for the whole shebang of daily recorded observations and super rigorous scientific testing but wanted to make sure that my efforts are well spent. Any insights? Thanks, Alex

Esteban Gurrola

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 August 2021 - 10:42 PM

Hey everyone,

Just started a position at a Tortilla Factory developing an SQF 9 system.  Looking at our shelf life testing program and was wondering how official y'all think we need to be with it.  I'm down for taking our product to an outside lab for testing but I'm also fine with what they've been doing which is: bringing it in and putting it on a shelf for a few weeks to see how long it lasts.   

They've been using no documentation as yet and I'm prepping for the whole shebang of daily recorded observations and super rigorous scientific testing but wanted to make sure that my efforts are well spent.

Any insights?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex

We did something similar where im currently working. We took samples for different lots and test every 4 months for indicators (APC, Coliform, E.Coli), this was done by our in house lab in petrifilm.  We also check for Moisture and Vitamine C (That was for outside lab) , we do frozen peppers.

You could use something similar and add a test of flavor, color, etc. instead of months, you could do by weekly or whatever parameter you think is best for your product. 

If you gather enough data, you will be able to show the microbiological behavior of your product shelf life.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 10 August 2021 - 02:41 AM

Hey everyone,

Just started a position at a Tortilla Factory developing an SQF 9 system.  Looking at our shelf life testing program and was wondering how official y'all think we need to be with it.  I'm down for taking our product to an outside lab for testing but I'm also fine with what they've been doing which is: bringing it in and putting it on a shelf for a few weeks to see how long it lasts.   

They've been using no documentation as yet and I'm prepping for the whole shebang of daily recorded observations and super rigorous scientific testing but wanted to make sure that my efforts are well spent.

Any insights?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Apologies no familiarity Tortilla.

Finished product  RTE ? RTC ?

Finished product stored frozen, chilled, vac/MAP packed ? labelled  shelf-life ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:24 PM

Hi Alex,

Think TACO BELL

there are soft and hard tortilla's

Used as sandwich wraps.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,676 posts
  • 1143 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 10 August 2021 - 12:25 PM

We always sent everything out to a 4 season lab.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 01:20 PM

Oh man, living in Texas I am TOO familiar with tortillas!

I didn't know there were people in this world that haven't had the joy of a delicious freshly made hot off the griddle fluffy tortilla...

Alex V.

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

Hi Alex,

Finished product  RTE ? RTC ?

Finished product stored frozen, chilled, vac/MAP packed ? labelled  shelf-life ?

Hi Charles,

I've been orienting myself with the idea that its basically a bakery with very low cook time.  The product is loosely vac packed RTE after an open air cooling period.   We may freeze or cool for storage and the shelf life can range from 3-5 days to longer than 40 Depending on the preservative status of the product.  Most of the product is 21 days ambient for food service.

The product largely has set and established shelf lives determined by like 60 years of experience, but none of it has been validated.  I'm just looking to figure out how rigorous I gotta be in my validation studies.

Thanks,

Alex

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 August 2021 - 05:06 AM

Hi Charles,

I've been orienting myself with the idea that its basically a bakery with very low cook time.  The product is loosely vac packed RTE after an open air cooling period.   We may freeze or cool for storage and the shelf life can range from 3-5 days to longer than 40 Depending on the preservative status of the product.  Most of the product is 21 days ambient for food service.

The product largely has set and established shelf lives determined by like 60 years of experience, but none of it has been validated.  I'm just looking to figure out how rigorous I gotta be in my validation studies.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi Alex,

As noted, no familiarity with tortillas but do note that the use of RTE, vacuum packs can be "precarious". For example -

Attached File  Baked Goods and Botulism.pdf   1.72MB   15 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users