• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 October 2021 - 02:20 PM

Hi

We currently use Sodium Metabisulphite in our peeled potato production which we add to our dip wheels.

Our products can be from whole, to chips, to dice, to quarter.

We test weekly to see our levels to ensure we are meeting the legal requirements of <50mg/kg. Sometimes we do exceed this and to take corrective action is non existent as the product has done by the time we get our results back.

Has anybody got any advice on how this should be done regarding sampling and dwell times possibly being introduced.

Thanks 

Sam D

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 3 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Travelling

Posted 07 October 2021 - 02:40 PM

Astro,

It seems that testing weekly is not sufficient to monitor the preservative use in your product.

I would suggest testing the preservative concentration more frequently on a daily basis and keeping track of concentration for each batch of product you manufacture. 

I have not worked with potatoes before but when I worked with dried fruit with added preservative, we use to take sample of fruit every hour and test it collectively at the  end of the day.  If the concentration of  sample was above our specification, the product would go to hold. We could generally rework by mixing with  fresh batch at certain percentage.  Our preservative needed dilution. So, we  would also test preservative concentration at the point of use at the beginning, middle and end of the shift.

Hope this helps.

-Sam

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 October 2021 - 02:59 PM

We test our in process chemicals twice/shift everyday

I agree with Sam, weekly isn't sufficient. At minimum you should be checking at start up, mid shift and end of shift 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 October 2021 - 03:57 PM

Hi

Sorry I may not of made myself clear enough  :oops2:

We test our levels at the start and every hour - Levels in the dip wheel. I was talking more on the product it self..... We send the product away to the lab to confirm levels still on the material

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,503 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 October 2021 - 04:13 PM

Ah

This sounds like you need to perform a validation study to know exactly how much preservative to use based on varying factors (whole- slice - dice-peeled/unpeeled)

Are you taking a random sample throughout the week and making that a composite sample, or are you just sending one grab sample?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 136 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 October 2021 - 03:37 PM

Thanks all

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:03 PM

I also suspect the level is higher in your diced and chip items compared to whole potatoes.  Maybe you need to have different amounts based upon the product you are running.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users