• Quick Navigation
Photo

ISO 9004

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Does your company work to ISO 9004 principles? (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Does your company work to ISO 9004 principles?

1. We have 9k2k and work to 9004 (4 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. We have 9k2k, looking at 9004 (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

3. We have 9k2k (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. We don't have 9k2k (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

5. We are considering 9004 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

I am off to Thailand at the end of the month and need to do a presentation on Quality. As part of this I would like to make a summary of quality systems, and as you have all proved so useful in the past, I thought I'd use you again.

I am trying to find out an idea of numbers of people who work to ISO 9004 principles.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated as well. :beer:

Thanks

Nadine.

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:15 PM

Nadine,

I don’t believe that the systems are mutually exclusive, in that if you have 9001, you must be using 9004 (whether you mean to or not).

To coin the standards phrase - 9001 & 9004 are a 'consistent pair'.

Where 9001 is more quality speak, 9004 attempts to be the practical guidance on how to make the system work effectively & how to improve - putting the meat on bones..

If you are not doing this, I don’t believe you can be running your 9001 standard correctly..

I am not saying you need to be doing everything in 9004, indeed the standard is generally quite loose e.g management should 'consider' doing..

Regards

Richard

Edited by rheath, 12 May 2004 - 05:15 PM.

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Systems thinking, Soccer (Glasgow Rangers), Family, the pusuit of truth and freedom

Posted 12 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

I am trying to find out an idea of numbers of people who work to ISO 9004 principles.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated as well. :beer:

What do you need Nadine?
Wallace Tait.

Jim Wade

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:All aspects of continual improvement

Posted 14 May 2004 - 12:56 AM

These facts may be helpful, Nadine:

ISO 9004 was intended originally to be used before ISO 9001 not after, as has become the regrettable (and now official) poor practice. More detail in attached article...

BSI offer what is essentially an ISO 9004 ceritficate in the form of their BPIR product.

BSI will announce this month (in the UK at least) a new service of assessing an organisation against the eight management principles.

At least one company that I know in the UK routinely audits its individual senior managers against the eight management principles.

rgds Jim

Attached Files

Edited by Jim Wade, 14 May 2004 - 01:02 AM.

Jim Wade

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 123 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:All aspects of continual improvement

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:10 AM

"... if you have 9001, you must be using 9004..."

I'm afraid I couldn't possibly disagree more, Richard.

As I mentioned in the previous post, we were expected to use 9004 - not 9001 - to build our systems. So, ISO 9004 is packed wiith all sorts of stuff that goes way beyond ISO 9001.

Secondly, since the issuing of an ISO 9001 certificate doesn't even require a system to meet all the requirements of ISO 9001, it's a bit of a stretch of the imagination to say that "you must be using 9004"!

rgds Jim

Wallace Tait

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 174 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Systems thinking, Soccer (Glasgow Rangers), Family, the pusuit of truth and freedom

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:10 PM

An absolutely excellent article Jim. :thumbup:
I concur with your report.
A great read and, I believe this article shall stir up the proverbial hornets nest.
Wallace.

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:23 AM

Thanks all, a lot of the companies I deal with don't really want to be looking at 9001, never mind anything else.

Wanted an idea of other peoples views.

Thanks again

Nadine

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,836 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

BSI offer what is essentially an ISO 9004 ceritficate in the form of their BPIR product.

They did. The above link is broken and I cannot find anything on the BSI website referring to the Business Performance Improvement Review (BPIR) - maybe they've given up on it. If anyone knows where the link is please let me know.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users