• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:15 PM

Hello friends,

I am a co-manufacturer that typically produces many different products with a variety of allergens. Most products have different allergens compared to the others. We have an allergen management program including segregation of raw materials, color-coded utensils for allergenic ingredients during processing, wet-cleaning in between different product runs, Allersnap swabs post-cleaning, gluten line swabbing when appropriate, annual validation by testing finished product at 3rd party laboratory for allergens (eg. testing a product that contains soy only that is ran after a cleaning of product that contained soy, peanut, milk,) proper scheduling among other procedures. We have one potential product that is considered being ran and I would like to pose the question below. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

The new customer would like to produce a non-allergenic product that states on the product packaging 'Manufactured free from the top 8 allergens.' We would like to produce this on the same line that produces allergenic product. There would of course be a full wet-clean prior to the non-allergenic product. Are there any regulations that would prevent us from doing this? Do we need to take any special precautions? Should we test the non-allergenic product for allergens? Or is this a definite no-no. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jeremy W

olenazh

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 775 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:29 PM

Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum! I'm from Canada and not familiar with US allergen regulations - however, even from the common sense standpoint that statement doesn't seem good as it's too vague. Here's CFIA statement regarding this "General "allergen-free" or "no allergens" claims

General claims stating only "allergen-free" or "no allergens" are considered to be too broad in nature and are therefore not acceptable. The list of potential food allergen sources is not restricted to the list of priority food allergens identified by Health Canada. There are over 200 food proteins that can cause adverse reactions to some segments of the population. Therefore, it is likely to create an erroneous impression to state that a product is free of allergens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users