Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Meeting new people, quality and learning new things!

Posted 01 December 2021 - 02:34 PM

Good Day,

I know this is a somewhat old thread but I have a question. If molds produce mycotoxins, is there a limit for mycotoxins? I am having a mold issue in one of our chocolate bonbons. We have decided it is a quality issue and have made adjustments to the recipe. We have also included water activity testing. I just want to know the limit of mold in food and I have not found any even the lab can't find any and cant help me. I have gone through so many threads on this forum and so many online resources, there is no limit for mold or a guideline to follow. I am trying to decide if I should send out another sample to be tested for mycotoxins or aflatoxins? The lab also said that is the only way to determine if the mold is pathogenic or not.  I just want to make sure I am taking the right steps.

Thank you. 

Edited by Charles.C, 02 December 2021 - 06:43 AM.
split from 41268

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 December 2021 - 08:25 AM

Good Day,

I know this is a somewhat old thread but I have a question. If molds produce mycotoxins, is there a limit for mycotoxins? I am having a mold issue in one of our chocolate bonbons. We have decided it is a quality issue and have made adjustments to the recipe. We have also included water activity testing. I just want to know the limit of mold in food and I have not found any even the lab can't find any and cant help me. I have gone through so many threads on this forum and so many online resources, there is no limit for mold or a guideline to follow. I am trying to decide if I should send out another sample to be tested for mycotoxins or aflatoxins? The lab also said that is the only way to determine if the mold is pathogenic or not.  I just want to make sure I am taking the right steps.

Thank you. 

Hi FG,

How much mould ?

See this attachment for chocolate micro specs -

Attached File  micro - chocolate.pdf   56.45KB   34 downloads

I think yr lab is correct. Note that mycotoxins in cocoa are a well-known occurrence, eg this 2019 article -

Attached File  Understanding mycotoxin contamination,2019.pdf   2.26MB   34 downloads

and this extracted comment -

So far, few countries have set regulatory limits for OTA in cocoa beans and cocoa products. Tafuri et al. [54] recommended setting a limit for OTA in raw cocoa and byproducts (maximum of 1 µg/kg in chocolate, chocolate powder and drinking chocolate and 2 µg/kg in cocoa beans, cocoa nibs, cocoa mass, cocoa cake and cocoa powder) [54]. However, the European Commission has stated that it did not appear necessary at that moment [55]. Considering the high consumption of cocoa products and chocolate by children and the results published by our group [46,56], the Brazilian Sanitary Surveillance Agency (ANVISA) set limits of 10 µg/kg for cocoa beans and 5 µg/kg for cocoa products and chocolate sold in Brazil, for both OTA and total aflatoxins [4].

(Pg 10/17)

PS - also can see -

Attached File  Analysis_of_cocoa_products_for_ochratoxin_A_and_aflatoxins.pdf   248.37KB   22 downloads

Edited by Charles.C, 02 December 2021 - 08:36 AM.
added

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,533 posts
  • 1517 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:20 PM

It sounds to me that you need to perform a deep dive on this particular item to find out why it's happening in only one bonbon

assuming you use the same chocolate(s) across all your products, something else is contributing to the issue here

is the filling changing the water activity enough to allow for mold growth?  or is the filling actually the source of the mold spores to begin with

what does your HVAC cleaning process look like---have you had a roof leak

A fishbone would be really useful---if you don't do a deep dive on this you'll end up with issues again and again until you figure out the root cause

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Frenchygal12

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Meeting new people, quality and learning new things!

Posted 02 December 2021 - 07:29 PM

Hi FG,

How much mould ?

See this attachment for chocolate micro specs -

attachicon.gif micro - chocolate.pdf

I think yr lab is correct. Note that mycotoxins in cocoa are a well-known occurrence, eg this 2019 article -

attachicon.gif Understanding mycotoxin contamination,2019.pdf

and this extracted comment -

PS - also can see -

attachicon.gif Analysis_of_cocoa_products_for_ochratoxin_A_and_aflatoxins.pdf

Thank you so much Charles. C. We got mold as high as 300000 for 1 sample and as low as 120 for another. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users