yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

Here is a story that does not seem to have appeared on the forum (it's rather scary):

Tesco Stores Ltd has been ordered to pay fines exceeding £31,000 after selling a baguette containing insulation foam to a customer at its Norwich branch.

Sam Avery, who bought the baguette at Tesco Metro in Norwich in August 2004, found a large piece of foam had been baked into the surface of the bread.

An investigation by Norwich City Council EHOs led to the successful prosecution of the supermarket. Entering a guilty plea at Norwich magistrates court, Tesco admitted ‘selling food not of the substance demanded by the purchaser'. The company was fined £15,000, with costs of £15,944. Mr Avery was awarded £250 in compensation.

Presenting the case for the prosecution, Clair Dobbin explained that Tesco had failed to spot the foam during the baking process despite it being clearly visible.

In mitigation, counsel for the defence offered Tesco's ‘profound apologies' to Mr Avery, pointing out that Tesco sold 26 million baguettes every year without any similar problems normally being reported. A Tesco spokesperson said: ‘The sale by this company of products not of the quality demanded is something it tries diligently to avoid and is profusely sorry when it does occur. ‘The company has written to Mr Avery expressing our apologies to him and enclosing vouchers to the value of £100.'

Passing sentence, District Judge Browning criticised Tesco for its delay in entering a guilty plea, noting the ‘public waste' which resulted from its ‘delay and prevarication'. He said the apology and £100 of vouchers Tesco had offered Mr Avery ‘rang hollow'.

Jaan Stanton, investigating officer for Norwich City Council, said: ‘The fine of £15,000 is the largest in the city for a single foreign body found in food and reminds companies they must take their responsibilities to the consumer seriously.' The case coincided with the start of National Food Safety Week.

Attached Files

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

A picture speaks a thousand words...

BTW I moved the topic out of the news feeds as they don't appear in the 'active topic' lists. And it was too good to be overlooked.

Good find Yorky. :clap:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:48 AM

I do hope this fine sticks in Tesco's throat as their charges stick in a lot of manufacturers throats!!!

(yes you guessed it, i've just received a customer complaint from Tesco for a product we don't supply them with!!! can i charge them for time wasted???)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,840 posts
  • 1364 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

I do hope this fine sticks in Tesco's throat as their charges stick in a lot of manufacturers throats!!!

(yes you guessed it, i've just received a customer complaint from Tesco for a product we don't supply them with!!! can i charge them for time wasted???)

:sofa_bricks: be careful Caz, Big Brother is watching.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users