• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:11 AM

Hello everyone, 

We use active probiotic yeast for food supplements production. Cleaning after such production is very very difficult especially encapsulating machine with many parts and hard to access areas. Can someone recommend any chemical or sanitazer that will be effective in our case?

Anna

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:55 AM

It's worth calling the rep for your cleaning chemical supplier and talking it through with them, as to an extent it'll depend on the nature of the equipment to be cleaned, and the available facilities on site (manual cleaning, CIP system etc?), temperature, wet/dry etc.

Is the challenge removing the physical residue left by the probiotic, or achieving sufficient microbiological cleanliness, or both? The latter might suggest your current santiser is possibly not doing its job, but equally this could be because your cleaning step prior to sanitising isn't removing enough of the physical residues for the sanitiser to be able to work properly.

Anna Racławska

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:52 AM

Thank you, pHruit. We do not have problems with physical residues but with achieving acceptable RLU results using luminometer (cleaning efficiency control). We clean out of place according to chemicals' SOP - cold water, 30 minutes of working.

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:59 AM

What chemical(s) are you currently using?
It does sound as though either your current process is not removing sufficient physical residues (even if it looks visually clean) to allow the santiser to work, or the sanitiser is not fully effective. This type of ingredient does present an unusual challenge though, as it is inherently and intentionally a very high microbiological loading!

I've had good results with a hot caustic cycle followed by a cold PAA-based sanitiser, but it doesn't sound like that is a viable approach for you. Hopefully your chemical supplier will be able to suggest some suitable options to try, and indeed the good suppliers might even help you with some validation of their proposed approach ;)

Gracezy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:53 PM

Anna, 

I'm not sure if it is the same situation. I was working on probiotic project.

I remember I have received the standard cleaning procedure/guideline from our Bacillus probiotics 's supplier. 

They gave me the chemical type/name that can help ensure all probiotic will be removed and not be contaminated to other products.

Anna Racławska

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 17 January 2022 - 08:14 AM

Thank you a lot Gracezy. Do you remember name of the chemical? Or maybe name of producer? And Bacillus supplier?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:15 PM

Have you considered ethyl alcohol?  it works beautifully on encapsulation equipment, and oxidizes off completely

You can run it through the encapsulation machine and then leave everything to dry

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Anna Racławska

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 18 January 2022 - 02:56 PM

Thank you, Scampi. I have asked probiotics' producers for advice. Alcohol is ok for metal parts of the machine, plastic parts get damaged. We will try new chemical with NaOH.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:05 PM

When i was in cannabis we used ethyl alcohol exclusively, knowing full well that plastic would need to be replaced---it's a cost of doing business

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Gracezy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 66 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:24 PM

Thank you a lot Gracezy. Do you remember name of the chemical? Or maybe name of producer? And Bacillus supplier?

I'm so sorry for the delay Anna.

Unfortunately I don't remember for the chemical name. I was working with Kerry during that time.

Anna Racławska

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:35 PM

I'm so sorry for the delay Anna.

Unfortunately I don't remember for the chemical name. I was working with Kerry during that time.

Gracezy, Kerry in Europe works on Ecolab. I worked for them also.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #probiotic, #yeast, live yeast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users