• 120 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 28 March 2022 - 09:37 PM

Good afternoon IFSQN,

I am preparing for a Costco audit, and they require testing of potable water from WITHIN the facility.

The lab we work with does not offer water testing in my area (Merieux). 

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not sure what to test for since we get monthly & annual results from the city.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing. Our audit is at the end of April and this is one of the last items on my To-Do list. Thanks in advance!

Spidey

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 208 posts
  • 81 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 March 2022 - 10:39 PM

Our 3rd party lab sends our samples out to another 3rd party lab that specializes in water testing.  We get a coliforms test result and a potability certificate.

Do you really get monthly results from your locality?  I'm impressed.  We get an annual water report that actually covers the previous year's testing results; so by the time we get it, the data is up to 18 months old.

This may be above and beyond, but we also test different locations within our facility.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 825 posts
  • 284 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 March 2022 - 03:52 AM

There are alot of labs the do this testing.   I looked on your profile - Midwest.   I know for a fact that Midwest Labs in omaha does potability and all kinds of other water testing.   

If you contact your local or state health department they should be able to give you a list of certified labs.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 March 2022 - 01:40 PM

you should amend your process to test from various locations WITHIN the building on a rotating schedule--it's how you verify that your water source isn't becoming contaminated from your pipes

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2022 - 01:28 PM

We use a local municipal water department for our testing. It was about $25 per sample. They supply the containers and we just wipe and heat the outlets where the samples are taken. I take them to the water dept. in a cooler and they email me a report in 24 - 48 hours. Just call the nearest (larger) water dept. and ask.

Rick Reyes

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:08 PM

One of the overlooked issues with water testing is that there are specific requirements for specific tests, your test sites in you facility need to be listed on your program. There are also specific rules on how long the water sample site needs to be running without interruption prior to sampling. Some of the samples must be filled to a level as not to have any air bubbles in the sample, and each test has a specific sample size that must be submitted, we work closely with our lab to make sure that our sample submissions are appropriate because it gets costly having to repeat samples that are not adequate. The most important part of water testing is the chain of custody documentation, we learned this lesson the hard way.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:44 PM

One of the overlooked issues with water testing is that there are specific requirements for specific tests, your test sites in you facility need to be listed on your program. There are also specific rules on how long the water sample site needs to be running without interruption prior to sampling. Some of the samples must be filled to a level as not to have any air bubbles in the sample, and each test has a specific sample size that must be submitted, we work closely with our lab to make sure that our sample submissions are appropriate because it gets costly having to repeat samples that are not adequate. The most important part of water testing is the chain of custody documentation, we learned this lesson the hard way.

The Water Department we use gave me a sheet of instructions and provided over the phone answers to all my questions. I did have to run the water for a period of time now that you mention it. The sample containers were sealed and had a powder in it to help preserve the samples. We had to submit them within 4 hours of the water draw also.

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 120 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:42 PM

Would you be willing to elaborate on the chain of custody documentation?

Good idea about the Water Department. I will send them an email today too.

I was given a referral by the Dept. of Health, but that company has only sent me spam emails so far. Not too promising.

It would be nice to find a company in my area that I could drop samples off to. Hopefully the Water Dept. has some good news.

Thank you all for the responses. This forum has given me more guidance than my regulatory body  :helpplease:

Rick Reyes

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 April 2022 - 06:52 PM

This is the form we must submit with every sample sent to our lab.

Attached Files

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 April 2022 - 08:03 PM

Good afternoon IFSQN,

I am preparing for a Costco audit, and they require testing of potable water from WITHIN the facility.

The lab we work with does not offer water testing in my area (Merieux). 

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm not sure what to test for since we get monthly & annual results from the city.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else is doing. Our audit is at the end of April and this is one of the last items on my To-Do list. Thanks in advance!

Hi ABFC,

Do Costco not give any idea as to the scope of  their expectations ? They seem to have extensive literature on mpst of their FS demands.

Theoretically you are faced with the trio of BCP data on internal samples which IMEX  is what is annually expected for EC purposes however  a few appropriately low numbers usually suffices for monthly testing, eg APC, Coliforms, E.coli

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 April 2022 - 08:07 PM

Make sure you're using the correct bottles----micro bottles should NOT have preservative in them--chemical analysis bottles should

You can wipe the faucet with an alcohol wipe  (you may also want to remove the fine screen inside bathroom/kitchen faucets)  and let the water run for 1-2 mintes

Here we test the water for (micro)

ecoli

HPC

Total COliforms

Background

We are a Costco vendor

Edited by Scampi, 04 April 2022 - 08:07 PM.

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water testing, water, testing, potable water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users