• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 20 May 2004 - 09:40 AM

As ISO 22000 would incorporate a substantial portion of HACCP Principles with QMS including additional requirements, it is probably necessary to have a good understanding of both. Oh yes! I have recently spoken to my Cert. Registrar from USA who is truly world class and they are making arrangement for accreditation with RvA. to prepare for ISO 22K. From the lead I have, I have resigned to accept that ISO 22K will be an International Standard.

As I will be providing consultation to a client who will be developing a Haccp Program for a "jam production" facility tomorow. I thought it is a good way to demonstrate the concepts and the basic overall requirements that are needed in the plan.

You will have to determine your own details in your plan as the information in this plan will be confidential. Even on this approach, anyone intending to do a Haccp Plan from scratch should find this useful.

I divide my Haccp Manual into two sections. Section 1 represents Codex Reguirements including other details. Section 2 refers to GMP and SSOP procedures and verification methodologies.

Initial Preparation:
1. Establish Haccp Team
2. Establish General Facility Layout which will be used as a base for raw material and finished product layout flow, human traffic flow and pest control bait station.
3. Product Description
4. Process Flowchart - All processes ONLY (not product lines or brands)
5. Validation of (2) & (4)
Other activities to be advised as I complete stages by stages.

For those who wish to contact me where confidential information is involved, feel free to email me personally otherwise the information should be shared for all to benefit.

Hope to enjoy this with all as we go along.
:secret:
Charles Chew

Edited by charleschew, 20 May 2004 - 09:50 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:31 PM

Whilst it is necessary to provide information to the food auditor (later), it is timely to obtain corporate information from the Haccp Team. The purpose really is to provide a better understanding of the facility's specific role in the food chain including other information that would assist the auditor.

These may consist of:
Reference documents to which this Haccp Plan is built on, the location(s) applied, other current industrial systems, organization chart, food safety statement, food quality statement, duty statement and (other information as needed)

This together with the 5 Codex principles will form the basis for hazard analysis. For QAP on suppliers and for analysis on ingredients which is part of the process flow, it is also timely to determine the approved suppliers' lists for raw materials, chemical suppliers and packaging materials.

A validated process flow of the "jam process" will be posted soon for hazard identity.

Cheers
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:58 PM

This company which is developing its initial Haccp Program has agreed to the posting of this Validated Process Flowchart for Saferpak forum studies.

Since the previous posting, the requirements under Codex has been fully complied now pending potential hazard analysis towards identification of CCPs. The Haccp Team comprises of 4 personnel. The validated Process Flowchart will be the primary documents for the above assessment of CCPs.

Products consist of jams with or without peels packed in glass bottles of various sizes. Holding tank is temperature controlled while capping is by pneumatic. There are two types of ingredient i.e. Fresh Fruits or Fruit Purees. Sulphur Dioxide is used as preservatives.

Those who wish to participate in this study could forward their assessment of potential hazards in accordance with each process steps as numbered. The validated process flowchart is attached.

:beer: Charles Chew

Note: Refer to "POTENTIAL HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION SHEET" posted on 1st June 2004 for Hazards Summary

Attached Files

Edited by charleschew, 02 June 2004 - 07:58 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:28 AM

Hi Charles,

You could spread what I know about jam very thinly on a small piece of bread. However, I've printed the flow chart off and will try and contribute something to ‘preserve' the thread. :lol:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:11 PM

Simon,

Nice figure of speech. Although a validated process, I hope there is no change as we pursue to do the hazard analysis for CCPs.

Cheers
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:53 AM

As part of my client's willingness to share these documents with you, it would only be fair for you to share your views on the potential hazards that may come along with the various process steps.

Attached is a copy of the "Potential Hazards Identification Sheet"which I have started as an example. Please continue and upon completion, please post it in this forum for all to view and discuss.

Regards
Charles Chew

Attached Files

Edited by charleschew, 01 June 2004 - 09:59 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:09 AM

The "POTENTIAL HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION SHEET" represents essentially an overview of the "Control Points" and Critical Control Points" of the entire PROCESS FLOWCHART.

At this stage, we cover all types of potential hazards that may occur (which we feel) would need to be addressed later.

Once done, we would then proceed to take a microscopic view of the potential lists when performing the "Hazards Analysis FOR Crtitical Control Points".

Be sure to AVOID "quality issues" as only safety issues are relevant.

Cheers

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:18 AM

I have completed the "Potential Hazards Identification Sheet" AND also the Product Descriptions which mentioned the "Product Charateristics".

There are a couple of vital characteristics here which I hope someone would correct me if I fall short of any:
1. Temperature and time. Both being specific.
2. Water Activity
3. pH
4. Deg. Brix
5. Vacuum Forming Integrity
6. Preservatives
7. Gel Formation

Meanwhile, Yeasts and Molds are common problems in Jams and there are identified as:
1. Halophilic Bacteria
2. Mycotoxegenic Aspergilli
3. Patulin for apple jam.

Pathogenic measurements would cover the usual:
1. Salmonella
2. E-Coli
3. Coliform
4. Stahylococcus Aureous
5. TPC

I am looking forward to your lists while these should give a fair idea of what the hazards could be! :bug:

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:11 AM

With the identification of potential hazards completed, I have moved on to the Hazard Analysis.

In previous discussions, see "Hazard Analysis Format" - we talked about the various approach available to this. You may want to use the "Numerical" or the "High, Medium, Low" Systems to justify 'SEVERITY", "RISK" AND "SIGNIFICANCE" however I am using neither of the above.

TWO CCPs have been identified from the analysis of the validatd Process Flow but obviously, I stand to be corrected as well. But until opinions of CCPs is received to match at least 50% of the number of downloads on the process flow, the details of the findings will be put on hold.

Look forward to seeing the results of your analysis too.

:thumbup:
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:29 AM

In previous discussions, see "Hazard Analysis Format" - we talked about the various approach available to this. You may want to use the "Numerical" or the "High, Medium, Low" Systems to justify 'SEVERITY", "RISK" AND "SIGNIFICANCE"  however I am using neither of the above.

Hi Charles,

What method are you using for the hazard analysis?

Although I'm following the Jam HACCP Study with interest I am finding it difficult to contribute anything of worth. :crybaby:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:59 PM

Simon,

The Hazard Analysis Version A that can be downloaded from "Document Exchange" is the method that I use. It is an American Method which I find very logical and easy to use. No mathematical analysis or level of likelihood of occurrence which tends to be subjective

The methodology asks whether you need to address a "hazard" in your HACCP Plan and if not, that is the end of it. No explanations needed. But if the answer is "Yes" then justification is needed and a decision must be established whether it is a CCP or CP.

Hazard Analysis need not be posted on the forum if one does not wish to. However, we would like to know the CCPs that you have decided and the justifications for them.

Regards
Charles Chew

Edited by charleschew, 06 June 2004 - 02:00 PM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:16 AM

OK here goes with a shot in the dark. Are the two CCP's you have identified?

1. Time and temperature at the Heat Processing step (10)
2. Metal Detection of finished product, probably following step (17) Cooling and vacuum forming

:dunno:

Regards,
Simon

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

Simon,

Not a bad shot. My answers are in your personal mail box but whether both of us are right or wrong, it remains up to the HACCP Team to deliberate the CCPs.

I have attached an overview of a HACCP Development plan covering Codex and HACCP Principles.

Thank you, Simon for being a sport.

Charles Chew

Attached Files

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:36 AM

The Codex Principles according to CODEX CRC/RCP 1-1969, Rev. 3 (1997)

Charles Chew

Attached Files

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:06 AM

Having given Simon my views to his hazard analysis that I have to admit that there is actually another CCP which is a Chemical Hazard. Therefore, in total, we believe there are 3 CCPs.

Only fair that answers to this analysis will only be given directly to those who post their views on the forum. Answers will be via emails.

Simon now knows all the answers.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:41 AM

If we have at least 5 submissions, the Hazard Analysis when approved together with our client will be posted. This could save the members and guests a lot of money for those who have no idea how to complete the first section of a HACCP Plan.

Since Simon had started the momemtum, you are almost there.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:16 PM

Dear all,

Although, we have not gone through the Hazard Analysis Proper, applying the decision tree on the potential hazards that you have identified is really good enough. The "Hazard Control Table" is really to provide convenience and easy reference for the auditors know the reasons for your decisions taken and of course if you have a CCP, do mention the control mechanisms.

Analysing for CCPs depends much on experience and understanding of the term "intervention steps". Not understanding this will lead to unnecessary CCPs which invariably can be very "time-consuming" in verification/validation exercises. Intervention steps are VITAL.

I do not not use quantitative, qualitative or matrices in the assessment. The worse thing about this approach is that you may need to justify the matrices used as well.

At this stage of the exercise, it would be a good idea to work out the CRITICAL LIMITS of your identified "CCPS". But for microbial CL, it has to be 5 log reduction.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 10 June 2004 - 03:49 PM

Oh, I just remembered. Some time back, I mentioned about the HACCP program of a huge organization that produces "fish fingers" globally including Japan.

Guess the number of CCP on that line? ...........1 CCP thats it.

Identifying CCP is really in a way, an art.

Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 14 June 2004 - 04:59 PM

The Hazard Analysis for the Jam Production will be analysed with the Haccp Team some time next week

Those who wants to post their assessement will get a copy of the "Hazard Analysis" directly through their email. Simon who posted will get his. Those who wish to participate and get some important materials on Haccp Development, please post before the end of the month.

Cheers
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 15 June 2004 - 11:16 AM

HACCP Team as part of the haccp plan development

Charles Chew

Attached Files

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 15 June 2004 - 05:23 PM

HACCP Team Organisation Chart.

Charles Chew

Attached Files

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 21 June 2004 - 03:04 PM

Dear Charles,

Sorry I haven't been able to contribute so far but I've just recovering :beer: after an IFS audit which has taken up alot of my time.

On my brief look through I have a few comments:

When I do a process flow I like to put all the raw material inputs at the top of the flow (to me it seems clearer).

On the HACCP team listing I would like to see what experience and HACCP training the team members have; this would give me an idea if there were any knowledge gaps in the team where external expertise would be required.

I believe there are the following hazards associated with this process flow:

Foreign bodies - from the raw materials ( stones,pips, wood, etc.)
Glass - from the glass jars which can be broken at most stages.
Metal - from all the peeling, crushing, mixing processes.
The chemical hazard I would guess as SO2 as this preservative is used alot in fruit preservation.

To control the foreign body hazards you could install an Xray machine to detect most of the foreign bodies, but I'm not sure the equipment is up to it yet :uhm: .

Control of SO2 would depend if it is in the raw material or if you are adding it?

Anywhere near?

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 22 June 2004 - 11:35 AM

Hi Yorkshire,

Yes, this process is a wee bit unusual due to input of various "ingredients" at different stages.

Normally, I will have a "process box" indicating input of "ingredients" going in as "raw materials" but the ingredients in this case are not part of the process step BUT merely to show it as a flow.

With regards to the Haccp Team, sometimes it is not a matter of choice but rather to use whatever resources available. This is where effective training comes in but having said this, members' commitment and willingness to procure knowledge is paramount in order to move forward.

Yes, those are some of the hazards that we will have to deal with but most of them are already controlled by our pre-requisites or GMP programs already. Consider effective vacuum forming as part of the control mechanisms in protecting product shelf life against microbial and toxigenic re-proliferation.

Hair line cracks are basically not an issue as they will break up due to contraction and expansion, hence, visual observation will suffice. But broken bottles in-transit is another issue but NOT enough to justify a CCP.

Dosages of Sulphur Dioxide in foods as an additive is generally controlled by each country's respective food laws. This is an issue of compliance regulated by the ingredient and preparation record document.

As for an X-Ray equipment for the detection of physical impediments, this may be an overkill as the filling nozzle would have trapped any impediments large eonugh to be considered hazardous to consumers. Perhaps, a Metal Detector may be applicable here but then again, we have a very effective SOP and strict loose tool items control programs. (Don't forget we are dealing with a slurry product with sizeable total soluble solids)

Thanks for participating. The process flow had undergone some adjustments but remains fundamentally the same. The Hazard Analysis is completed and CCPs registered.

I will give the members until month-end to participate and then, each of you who has participated will get a "full version" from me directly to your email via saferpak's messaging facility.

Charles Chew

Edited by charleschew, 22 June 2004 - 11:38 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 01 July 2004 - 03:20 PM

Hi,

I am finalising the Codex section (from 5 principles to hazard analysis) by early next week. Shall be sending the version to participants of this topic as promised.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:58 PM

Dear All,

This topic has ended today with the "full version" despatched by email to those who had participated.

Thanks guys and I hope you will find the documents useful.

Regards
Charles Chew

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)