• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2022 - 09:57 PM

Hi,

I am a plant manager for a very small all natural peanut butter company. I am currently certified with BRC through the START program, I am going for full certification this year. What should my main focuses be on?

Thank you

Ives101

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:17 PM

Hi Cheryl

I would suggest to go through the Gap Checklist. It will determine which areas you need to work on. I have attached the Checklist.

I hope this helps and good luck with your BRC Certification journey!!

Cheers,

Cheryl Risty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:28 PM

Thank You so much for the help but I do not see an attachment

Ives101

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:36 PM

Oops, sorry! Attached now.

Attached Files

Thanked by 2 Members:

Cheryl Risty

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2022 - 10:40 PM

Thank You so much, another question is there a lot of changes from START too full certification?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 May 2022 - 06:34 AM

Thank You so much, another question is there a lot of changes from START too full certification?

Hi Cheryl,

I'm not directly familiar with START but I guess it is analogous to SALSA (in UK) ?

You can get an idea of the differences to full certification by comparing your current START Standard to that for BRC 8 (ie the text in attachment Post 4).

I anticipate the differences will be significant since START is intended as a "stepping stone" although the extent of the differences may relate to details of yr Process/ its "smallness". (Offhand I anticipate yr Product/Process is quite "sensitive" from a Risk Assessment POV).

PS - You may need to invest in the BRC8 Interpretation Guidelines unless this document  is already accessible to you via BRC Participate (?)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,249 posts
  • 1298 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 26 June 2022 - 04:32 AM

Hi Cheryl,

The BRCGS Global Standard for Food Safety stipulates 12 fundamental requirements without which certification cannot be achieved so that is what I would prioritise:

Senior management commitment and continual improvement (1.1)

Senior management need to demonstrate commitment to meeting the requirements of the BRC standard by provision of sufficient resources, communication, review and taking actions to improve.

The food safety plan – HACCP (2)

A multi-disciplinary team need to develop a Food Safety Plan incorporating CODEX HACCP principles that is comprehensive, implemented and maintained. The plan should reference legislation, codes of practice and relevant industry guidelines.

Internal audits (3.4)

There needs to be an effective audit system to verify that the food safety quality management system and relevant procedures cover the requirements of the standard, are effective and complied with.

Management of suppliers of raw materials and packaging (3.5.1)

An effective supplier approval and monitoring system must be put in place to ensure that any potential risks from raw materials (including primary packaging) to the safety, authenticity, legality and quality of the final product are understood and managed.

Corrective and preventive actions (3.7)

It is necessary to uses the information from identified failures in the food safety and quality management system, conduct root cause analysis and to make necessary corrections and prevent recurrence.

Traceability (3.9)

A system needs to be in place to trace finished products by lot number from raw materials throughout the process to end products and their distribution to the customer. The system should be such that this information can be retrieved within a reasonable timescale.

Layout, product flow and segregation (4.3)

Facilities, product flow and equipment need to be designed, constructed and maintained to prevent contamination of the product and comply with relevant legislation.

Housekeeping and hygiene (4.11)

Housekeeping and cleaning standards need to be maintained to achieve the appropriate hygiene standards and prevent the contamination of product.

Management of allergens (5.3)

System need to be put in place for the management of allergenic materials to minimise the risk of allergen contamination of products and meet legal requirements for labelling.

Control of operations (6.1)

Procedures need to be in place to verify the effective operation of equipment and processes, in compliance with the food safety plan, so that product legality, quality and safety is assured.

Labelling and pack control (6.2)

Controls of product labelling activities must ensure that products are correctly labelled and coded – this requirement is specifically introduced to tackle the main cause of product recalls/withdrawals, the labelling and packing of products.

Training: raw material handling, preparation, processing, packing and storage areas (7.1)

A system needs to be in place to demonstrate that personnel who can affect product legality, quality and/or safety are competent based on qualifications, training or work experience.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users