• Quick Navigation
Photo

Exempting a bracelet due to religious reasons?

Share this

Best Answer , 20 June 2022 - 05:18 PM

No bracelets and it really has nothing to do wtih it being clean and everything to do with the potential for foreign material contamination of your honey plus a real possiblity of severe injury to the wearer when it gets caught on something.

Bottom line - tell him to take the bracelet off while working in your facility.

The only other possible thing to do is have him attach it to a lanyard and wear it inside his uniform/shirt.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Gshurtleff

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 June 2022 - 04:40 PM

Hello All,

We process and package honey.

I have a new hire for the production room who has this cloth/cord bracelet tied around his wrist. It has metal plates with crosses on them. When I asked him about it he informed me he never removes it. From a hygiene standpoint, I want to not allow the exemption do to it not being clean at the beginning of every shift.

Has anyone ever dealt with exempting a bracelet due to religious reasons? I am curious what industry norms are out there.

Thank you very much,

Graham S

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,053 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 20 June 2022 - 04:55 PM

Edited by kfromNE, 20 June 2022 - 04:56 PM.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 June 2022 - 05:18 PM   Best Answer

No bracelets and it really has nothing to do wtih it being clean and everything to do with the potential for foreign material contamination of your honey plus a real possiblity of severe injury to the wearer when it gets caught on something.

Bottom line - tell him to take the bracelet off while working in your facility.

The only other possible thing to do is have him attach it to a lanyard and wear it inside his uniform/shirt.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:58 AM

Hello,

actually, BRCGSV8 allows it as an exception:

7.2.1 (Interpretation guide): • jewellery must not be worn apart from plain wedding rings or wristbands (i.e. without stones that may fall out). Exceptions must be minimal and must not constitute a risk to product (e.g. wrist bands identifying a particular medical condition, such as epilepsy or an allergy, may be worn where product is not at risk of contamination). Where religious reasons prevent the removal of an item of jewellery, then it must be covered and the site must complete a risk assessment to confirm how this will be achieved (e.g. by totally covering the item with the wearer’s clothing, or by wearing overalls that are buoned up to cover the item)

but also pls see that it shall be cotrolled:

"The requirements must be communicated to all personnel (e.g. through induction training and sign-in procedures for visitors and contractors). Consideration must be given to staff who are not native speakers and appropriate methods of training (e.g. use of translators) must be provided for them. Compliance with requirements must be checked regularly, for example by incorporating checks into daily or weekly good manufacturing practice audits, or through the questioning of personnel at regular intervals"

best regards,

Leila

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:31 AM

The one thing that will help moving forward is to be upfront with new hires about jewelry

Then

A) you won't be blindsided with a request

B) you will have less of these exceptions to worry about generally speaking

Be careful with exceptions-slippery slope and creates animosity among the employees

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,053 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:14 PM

Clothing, abstaining from different food/activities - yes. These are requirements of some faiths - but I can't think of any religion or sect that requires jewelry to be worn.

Please enlighten me if there is one.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:29 PM

There are thousands of religions around the globe

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,053 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2022 - 12:48 PM

There are thousands of religions around the globe

Good point.

ppatann

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 June 2022 - 02:01 PM

Our facility conducted a risk assessment and determined no jewelry for both Food Safety Risks and Health/Safety Risks (catching the jewelry in equipment).

I agree with the post of clarity during the interview process and new hire orientation.   Employees should be fully aware of the plant expectations when being interviewed to save a difficult situation further on once hired.

We've fought wedding bands - stones or no stones, necklaces under shirts, piercings that "cannot be removed" and such.   We do not allow any exception for jewelry anywhere and are a union shop.    We do allow medical tags on a necklace under clothing if the employee has disclosed the need to our Safety manager or HR and received approval.

Regards and best wishes

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 June 2022 - 08:16 PM

Hello,

actually, BRCGSV8 allows it as an exception:

7.2.1 (Interpretation guide): • jewellery must not be worn apart from plain wedding rings or wristbands (i.e. without stones that may fall out). Exceptions must be minimal and must not constitute a risk to product (e.g. wrist bands identifying a particular medical condition, such as epilepsy or an allergy, may be worn where product is not at risk of contamination). Where religious reasons prevent the removal of an item of jewellery, then it must be covered and the site must complete a risk assessment to confirm how this will be achieved (e.g. by totally covering the item with the wearer’s clothing, or by wearing overalls that are buoned up to cover the item)

but also pls see that it shall be cotrolled:

"The requirements must be communicated to all personnel (e.g. through induction training and sign-in procedures for visitors and contractors). Consideration must be given to staff who are not native speakers and appropriate methods of training (e.g. use of translators) must be provided for them. Compliance with requirements must be checked regularly, for example by incorporating checks into daily or weekly good manufacturing practice audits, or through the questioning of personnel at regular intervals"

best regards,

Leila

Hi Leila,

It is curious that BRC apparently only require a risk assessment as to the certainty of the object being covered. How about safety !!??

Also, from a USA POV, I wonder as to OSHA's opinion ? I anticipate latter will supercede BRC if at variance.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Leila Burin

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 154 posts
  • 45 thanks
Excellent

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:12 AM

Hello Charles,

On my personal opinion, this was “exceptionally” started to be allowed when BRCGS become more international and realize that shall be “politically correct” with some sensitive issues in order to be able to expand as a standard worldwide (and compete with others under the GFSI).

I hope made myself clear

Leila

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 June 2022 - 06:08 PM

I don't know of any faith or religion that requires a specific type of jewelry to be worn. Pendants or other types of symbolic items yes. I have had several individuals that asked if they could wear these on necklaces and were told by me no, absolutely no necklaces. I have offered they put the symbol in their pocket until after work and they have been fine with that. It's not the bracelet or the necklace itself that holds the importance, it's the symbol they want with them and if you give them a way that does not create a food safety risk you've gone a long way toward healthy cooperation. Be firm about the rule but also be willing to work with them and solve the root cause of the issue to their satisfaction and yours.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 June 2022 - 04:35 AM

I don't know of any faith or religion that requires a specific type of jewelry to be worn. Pendants or other types of symbolic items yes. I have had several individuals that asked if they could wear these on necklaces and were told by me no, absolutely no necklaces. I have offered they put the symbol in their pocket until after work and they have been fine with that. It's not the bracelet or the necklace itself that holds the importance, it's the symbol they want with them and if you give them a way that does not create a food safety risk you've gone a long way toward healthy cooperation. Be firm about the rule but also be willing to work with them and solve the root cause of the issue to their satisfaction and yours.

Hi Hoosiersmoker,

I (safety-based) agree with yr opinion on necklaces but BRC apparently disagree yr opening comment (see Post 10).

From an auditorial/Safety Risk POV, yr compromise (and BRC's) may require a definition of minimum size pockets (with zip closures?).

(Also may eventually result in an outbreak of bulging pockets ? ).

Better to make a blanket "Policy Issue" ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users