• 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2022 - 07:07 PM

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Background: I went from a low risk SQF Rice MIll to building a SQF program for a RTE smoked pork sausage that is not shelf stable.

At the mill I would get a represntative sample of raw rice grains and send them in for a yearly heavy metals testing as well as pesticides. Rice was the only ingredient it was straightforward and common practice in the US Rice Industry. 

I have quite a few ingredents in our finished sausage product and am wondering if under SQF 2.3.2.9 

i. Microbiological, chemical and physical limits - I need to do similar testing. The USDA already takes random samples for micro testing so I am just concerned about chemical / physical limits.

Would it be recommended to to send in sausage links to get these tests done? Rght now I have no clue on the chemical ppm / ppb.

Thank you.

If you don't like change, you're going to like becoming irrelevant less. 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,249 posts
  • 1298 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 02 July 2022 - 05:20 AM

Hi TylerJones,

I would think that analysis for residues of veterinary drugs would also need to be included.

Info here from Australia's National Residue Survey 2020–21 Pig may be useful.

Also see CODEX MAXIMUM RESIDUE LIMITS (MRLs) AND RISK MANAGEMENT RECOMMENDATIONS (RMRs) FOR RESIDUES OF VETERINARY DRUGS IN FOODS

Kind regards,

Tony

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 863 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 04 July 2022 - 07:01 PM

2.3.2.9  refers to specifications.   These can be whatever you want - their purpose is to state what you say you are going to produce.  for micro, obviously no pathogens, but maybe you also want to the a specification for total plate count/ ym, ect.  For chemical that could be things such as fat, protein, moisture, etc.  Physical could be free of bone, metal.  Size, shape, texture, etc.  

If your hazard analysis or customer indicates that pesticides OR HM need to be on a specification then I would add them.   However, I dont think that they are necessary for this clause.  

If you question is really regarding risk of pesticides and HM in your product, you would need to do some research on the ingredients and see if it is a legitimate risk.   If so, monitoring through testing might be appropriate.    It would be better to test just the ingredients that would require monitoring (from risk assessment) and not the finished product.  I agree with tony, drug residue would be on the top of my list for chemical.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,078 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 05 July 2022 - 12:31 PM

Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

Background: I went from a low risk SQF Rice MIll to building a SQF program for a RTE smoked pork sausage that is not shelf stable.

At the mill I would get a represntative sample of raw rice grains and send them in for a yearly heavy metals testing as well as pesticides. Rice was the only ingredient it was straightforward and common practice in the US Rice Industry. 

I have quite a few ingredents in our finished sausage product and am wondering if under SQF 2.3.2.9 

i. Microbiological, chemical and physical limits - I need to do similar testing. The USDA already takes random samples for micro testing so I am just concerned about chemical / physical limits.

Would it be recommended to to send in sausage links to get these tests done? Rght now I have no clue on the chemical ppm / ppb.

Thank you.

Chemical and physical risks - what does your HACCP plan say. Physical - most likely metal inspection. Chemical - sanitizer used on surface is the correct ppm. Those are standard in many facilities.

https://meatsci.osu....afety/resources

https://meathaccp.wisc.edu/

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 381 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:09 AM

I agree with kingstudruler1 on this one.  That part of the code is in reference to what you have set as your specification. 

When I worked with a USDA product, the samples they took were for micro.  I would send out product myself for micro every so often separate from USDA, again based on our HACCP Plan and risk.  There was never a concern on pesticides.  Not sure where that would come from, so I would look into that.  As far as chemical risk, the only risk I could imagine on that end would be things like cleaning chemicals, allergens (of course) and sanitizer you use.  However risk of sanitizer would be cut down as you should be testing the concentration of sanitizer and if I remember right, USDA generally asks to see those results and wants to see you test it every so often.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users