• 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 July 2022 - 02:23 PM

Hello,

In one of the product specifications on the COA, it says Result: Typical

What does it mean?

How come some labs or suppliers don't give value and only give write typical results?

Edited by Simon, 14 July 2022 - 09:16 AM.

JensV

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 11 July 2022 - 02:54 PM

Hello desaivishalh,

This means that it meets the expected microbiological/chemical/... value for the analyzed parameter, for this type of product.

What I would recommend is requiring that the supplier defines what the typical and maximum values are. Otherwise, the product specification / COA isn't really useful.

Edited by JensV, 11 July 2022 - 02:56 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 536 posts
  • 212 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 July 2022 - 03:29 PM

What does their spec say?   I don't let anything in without checking the batch COA against their spec sheet.   If results on COA don't match the spec sheet, rejected.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 July 2022 - 03:51 PM

Hello,

In one of the product specifications on the COA, it says Result: Typical

What does it mean?

How come some labs or suppliers don't give value and only give write typical results?

Depends on what was being referred to. ???

It may be being used for some micro. parameter where a considerable variation is common like APC so that every spoonful taken from a lot may not meet a specific quoted value.

That's why nmMc specifications were developed.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,688 posts
  • 1147 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:04 PM

They are assuming you know what they mean by Typical.

In general it doesn't mean jack shit.

Tell them you want their explanation and not this typical crap.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 368 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:19 PM

I have never seen micro results labeled as "typical"... Seems sketchy to me. The only non-numerical result I would consider acceptable for micro results would still need to be based on clearly defined specifications, for example:

Method: APC

Specification: <1,000 cfu/g

Result: Within Specification

In the example above, "within spec" keeps their result confidential while still giving you the assurance that results are within the specification you agreed to when purchasing the product. Simply listing "typical" is not enough information for you. You need to ask them what their specification is for the test.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:56 PM

I have never seen micro results labeled as "typical"... Seems sketchy to me. The only non-numerical result I would consider acceptable for micro results would still need to be based on clearly defined specifications, for example:

Method: APC

Specification: <1,000 cfu/g

Result: Within Specification

In the example above, "within spec" keeps their result confidential while still giving you the assurance that results are within the specification you agreed to when purchasing the product. Simply listing "typical" is not enough information for you. You need to ask them what their specification is for the test.

Hi Brothbro,

It's important to appreciate that the accuracy of results for, for example, APC are often +/- 50% or more ?

"typical" is often used in "short form" micro specs since most customers are unfamiliar with detailed micro. specifications.

Most (but not all) reference lists of micro specifications use the nmMc methodology due to the substantial intrinsic variation in data for many quantitative micro.quantities (plus variations due sampling/analytical micro.measurements) . Can see the various data compilations in the sublinks here  -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ms/#entry183646

To put it another way, the concept of COA requires some careful thought if used for micro.purposes.

I have had more arguments with customers over microbiological results than any other Product "Quality" characteristics.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 368 posts
  • 117 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:48 PM

Hi Brothbro,

It's important to appreciate that the accuracy of results for, for example, APC are often +/- 50% or more ?

"typical" is often used in "short form" micro specs since most customers are unfamiliar with detailed micro. specifications.

Most (but not all) reference lists of micro specifications use the nmMc methodology due to the substantial intrinsic variation in data for many quantitative micro.quantities (plus variations due sampling/analytical micro.measurements) . Can see the various data compilations in the sublinks here  -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ms/#entry183646

To put it another way, the concept of COA requires some careful thought if used for micro.purposes.

I have had more arguments with customers over microbiological results than any other Product "Quality" characteristics.

Thanks for bringing this up Charles, hopefully with some tips from ifsqn I can avoid some of those arguments myself in the future!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users