• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:07 AM

Hello IFSN,

We have historically tested water annually as it is not used in the process (Egg packing centre, UK) only for drinking water. I have checked previous posts to this and I am struggling to find the limits and items to test for present in the water.

Any advice on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any replies

Regards 

jst23

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2022 - 11:06 AM

Addition, we currently test for:

TVC @ 37C for 48h

TVC @ 22c for 68h

Coliforms

E.Coli

Pseudomonas aeruginosa

Sulphite reducing Clostridia

Enterococci 

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 19 August 2022 - 11:17 AM

I work in packaging and we get out water tested annually, again it is not used in production at all.  Through the guidance of the lab I worked with we test for: Total coliforms, E. Coli, Nitrate as N (Calc), Nitrate-Nitrate as N, Nitrite as N and Turbidity.  The last four mainly to compare to the water report we get from our public water supplier.  Benn through an audit and this was acceptable.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jst23

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2022 - 11:22 AM

I work in packaging and we get out water tested annually, again it is not used in production at all.  Through the guidance of the lab I worked with we test for: Total coliforms, E. Coli, Nitrate as N (Calc), Nitrate-Nitrate as N, Nitrite as N and Turbidity.  The last four mainly to compare to the water report we get from our public water supplier.  Benn through an audit and this was acceptable.

Many thanks for the reply. Do you have an idea of the limits you allow?

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 19 August 2022 - 12:20 PM

Total coliforms and E. Coli we like to see results as 'Absent'.  Nitrate and Nitrite we were looking for less than 10.  Turbidity less than 1.

Thanked by 1 Member:

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 19 August 2022 - 12:43 PM

Is this incoming UK mains?

If you don't already have copies, get in touch with your water supplier as they should be able to share their own analytical results. In some regions these can be downloaded directly from their website by putting your postcode in.

Beyond that, presumably all you're trying to do is demonstrate that the water is potable in that it complies with the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016, which IIRC only specifies Enteros and E. coli both as 0 per 100ml as the "absolute" micro parameters at the consumer end.

Additionally there are "indicator" parameters of: C. perfringens at 0 per 100ml, coliforms at 0 per 100ml, and colony count (at 22C) per ml of "no abnormal change".

Using this as the basis for your scope should more than suffice, IMO.

I wouldn't particularly expect to need to do any chemical analysis, particularly if you're obtaining the results for this from the water supplier. I have had to do some myself in some places, but that's been where the water is used as an ingredient and there are specific process-related implications for some chemicals that are expected to be present.

Thanked by 2 Members:

jst23

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2022 - 01:22 PM

Is this incoming UK mains?

If you don't already have copies, get in touch with your water supplier as they should be able to share their own analytical results. In some regions these can be downloaded directly from their website by putting your postcode in.

Beyond that, presumably all you're trying to do is demonstrate that the water is potable in that it complies with the Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations 2016, which IIRC only specifies Enteros and E. coli both as 0 per 100ml as the "absolute" micro parameters at the consumer end.

Additionally there are "indicator" parameters of: C. perfringens at 0 per 100ml, coliforms at 0 per 100ml, and colony count (at 22C) per ml of "no abnormal change".

Using this as the basis for your scope should more than suffice, IMO.

I wouldn't particularly expect to need to do any chemical analysis, particularly if you're obtaining the results for this from the water supplier. I have had to do some myself in some places, but that's been where the water is used as an ingredient and there are specific process-related implications for some chemicals that are expected to be present.

Many thanks for this answer. We do indeed download a potability report from our mains water supplier annually along with the annual micro testing for potability. This has helped me think about changing our policies pertaining to water potability.

Thanks again :D 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 August 2022 - 02:09 AM

While we get a water report from the suppliers of both spring and general city water source we also run 3 locations gor testing on a monthly basis - I will rely on someone else's testing information.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,674 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 August 2022 - 02:11 AM

I hate auto correct - I meant to say that I will not rely on someone elses testing information.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

m.erzetti

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy
  • Interests:Consultant for ISO 9001; ISO 17025; ISO 22000; BRC & IFS. I worked at the University of Perugia in the CERB (Italian Brewing Research Centre) as Quality Manager (ISO 9001 - ISO 17025)

Posted 21 August 2022 - 09:49 AM

you could give a look to the DIRETTIVA (UE) 2020/2184

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,510 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 August 2022 - 04:27 PM

Your local public health should have that information for you since it's drinking water only

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: water testing, brcgs, brc, micro, testing, water, quality

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users