Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:28 PM

Question about the addition of sesame as an allergen in the US - I've read the document and it's clear about how to label sesame in products containing sesame, which is required by January 1, 2023.  We are compliant with this. 

Does anyone know if this law also requires a "facility allergen handling statement", i.e., "Made in a facility that handles wheat, milk, and soy" be updated to include sesame (if you do handle it) by 1/1/2023, if the product does not contain sesame?

We are updating our facility allergen handling statement to include sesame but will not have all labels changed over to the new facility statement by 1/1/2023.  

Thank in advance! 

Gelato Quality Lead

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 137 posts
  • 25 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2022 - 08:54 PM

Hi,

"May contain" and "made in a facility" statements are considered to be voluntary by FDA: https://www.fda.gov/...turers use it.”

So, as long as the products with sesame state that they have sesame, your labels are compliant.

Hope this helps!

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 October 2022 - 09:02 PM

Yes, that link does help.  I definitely don't want to mislead anyone, but at the same time do not want to toss out all these labels unless there is a true legal issue.  Thank you!

Edited by OrRedFood, 06 October 2022 - 09:02 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users