• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2022 - 08:10 PM

Hi,

I was hoping that someone might be able to advise me - A bakery has a product list of 180 individual items, all of them different in some way. They are sorted together into groups (i.e Breads, Buns, Meat Pie Products etc) but within these groups are distinct differences in the processes. 

I was wondering if anybody had a more practical idea than quite literally writing 20+ different HACCP documents (20 is actually a bit of an understatement - I fear it is probably more)  :helpplease:

QAONE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2022 - 08:32 PM

Hello Dee70,

Some helpful advice would be to bulk as much of the items up together that you can.

I myself work for a bakery that has roughly over 100 different products and what we have done is written a HACCP Plan that umbrellas multiple smaller plans. Ours items consists of Meat Pies, Bundles (precooked meats wrapped in doughs), Cookie Dough, Baked Cookies, Muffins, Bagels, and Various Roll Types (dinner,cinnamon,sweet,etc.) Our prerequisites, flow charts, diagrams, control points/critical control points, and SOP's are "process" specific and not item specific. This allows one plan to have various items represented. We have not came across any issues with this approach by FDA/USDA/or any third party auditor. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 November 2022 - 08:53 PM

Group like with like

Allergens with allergens (so a banana nut muffin with carrot cake as an example)

Meat containing products all together

Agree with QAONE

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:20 PM

I should have added

Create the HACCP plans based on process not product

If you follow the first 6 steps of Codex HACCP, that should help you figure out what goes where

You may be able to intermingle flow charts AFTER the kill step for packaging, storage and shipping, or not

Realistically, this should have you down to 3-4 HACCP plans, which will be much easier to manage

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

QAONE

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 November 2022 - 09:38 PM

So within our HACCP Plan we have our Prerequisites (PRP) that encompasses all of our processes and procedures so it therefore covers all items. For example we have a written PRP for allergens that has representation in all the various smaller plans. Then when it comes to hazard analysis, flow charts, control points/critical control points, etc we group meat products in a plan, baked items in a plan, raw doughs/raw ingredients items like icing/smears in a plan. Basically One large HACCP Plan that has 3 small group specific plans. I hope that makes sense.   

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users