• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 01 December 2022 - 05:51 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a doubt regarding limit of detection for yeast in our factory. We make vinegar and we ferment our juices so there is considerable amount of yeast used in the processing.

I conducted an environmental swab test after the final rinse of the tank and found yeast to be higher than the LOR (determined by the external test laboratory). 

As we process very high amount of yeast, this number is not unexpected, but I wanted to see if a higher limit of reporting because of the above-mentioned statement. 

Does anyone have any idea on how to do that? What kind of tests should I be doing for it?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

pHruit

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,072 posts
  • 849 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Composing/listening to classical music, electronics, mountain biking, science, sarcasm

Posted 01 December 2022 - 02:56 PM

It sounds like the lab may have plated your sample(s) at the "wrong" dilution rate - generally the LOD can be increased via serial dilutions.

I'd suggest starting by having a chat with your lab and asking if they can run the method at different dilutions to try to enumerate higher counts.

You've mentioned that this was after final rinse, so was this sample of a "clean" surface?
Appreciate that you're working in an inherently high yeast environment, but it might also be worth investigating cleaning options with your chemical supplier, if the current procedure and chemicals aren't achieving the required results.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:04 PM

Why do you swab for yeast, may I ask? It's not a food safety hazard, and in your circumstances it's not a quality hazard as well.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:39 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a doubt regarding limit of detection for yeast in our factory. We make vinegar and we ferment our juices so there is considerable amount of yeast used in the processing.

I conducted an environmental swab test after the final rinse of the tank and found yeast to be higher than the LOR (determined by the external test laboratory). 

As we process very high amount of yeast, this number is not unexpected, but I wanted to see if a higher limit of reporting because of the above-mentioned statement. 

Does anyone have any idea on how to do that? What kind of tests should I be doing for it?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi dash,

As per pHruit I presume LOR = LOD.

Not sure what "rinse" means but, given the process, I would have thought a result  > LOD is sort of unsurprising albeit depending on the specific LOD and yr actual result. (= ?)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:44 PM

If yeast remain after cleaning, my first thought would be that the cleaning failed.

Have you observed the cleaning yourself? Is the water used under high pressure?

Are the surfaces also checked visually after the cleaning is done?

I've seen several cases where there were corners in the machine that caused materials to remain even with thorough cleaning.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microbiology, yeast and mould

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users