• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 10 January 2023 - 08:02 PM

Hello, 

The company I work for would like to import herbal teas originating from India. Currently all tea lines have NPNs, however the supplier would like to remove these to make exporting the product into Canada easier. 

They are willing to make the necessary label changes, such as removing the health claims and changing the ingredient declarations etc. 

First off, is this the appropriate course of action? Is there anything else that will need to be updated for this to be acceptable?

Also the brand is already present within the Canadian Market so I'm worried this will cause even more confusion- can anyone advise how to go about this?

Many thanks! 

C. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 January 2023 - 08:44 AM

NPN, NHP = ??

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:03 PM

Charles, NHP = Natural Health Product

In Canada, you get this designation for say, an herbal tea that you claim will help with sleep due to it containing a "health product", like valerian root

I'm guessing this is actually a cost savings suggestion from your company as they no longer want to spend the money at the lab

They will NO LONGER be able to make any claims on the packaging whatsoever but as for doing it---there is no reason why not 

Out of curiosity, why do they believe it will be easier?  The only importation change will be the product no longer being an NHP

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NHPs, Natural Health Product, Natural Product Number, NNHPD, Labels

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)