m.erzetti

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy
  • Interests:Consultant for ISO 9001; ISO 17025; ISO 22000; BRC & IFS. I worked at the University of Perugia in the CERB (Italian Brewing Research Centre) as Quality Manager (ISO 9001 - ISO 17025)

Posted 19 January 2023 - 12:30 PM

What kind of system do you have to satisfy the mass balance of packaging materials with legal information requested in the 3.9.3 ?

I need a help for big lots of products!

Thank you.

Mauro 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,250 posts
  • 1300 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 20 January 2023 - 04:48 AM

Hi Mauro,

BRCGS Global Standard for Food Safety has a fundamental requirement for the site to be able to trace all raw material product lots (including primary packaging) from its suppliers through all stages of processing and dispatch to its customers and vice versa.

Clause 3.9.3 requires a test the traceability system across the range of product groups to ensure traceability can be determined from the supplier of raw material (including primary packaging) to the finished product and vice versa including a quantity check/mass balance.

The relevant primary packaging here includes printed packaging and labels with food safety and legal information.

This packaging should be issued to the production line and any remaining packaging returned after the production run has finished.

You should be logging the following quantities/numbers of relevant packaging:

Issued to the production line

Used during the production run

Packaging wasted

Returned to stores

Packaging issued minus packaging waste minus packaging returned = Packaging used for product.

Your mass balance of packaging should match the number of products produced.

Sometimes it is difficult to quantify packaging waste, in which case a typical level of waste based on historical usage may be used to estimate the waste. If there is a significant discrepancy by either method you should be investigating the discrepancy.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanked by 1 Member:

m.erzetti

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 63 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Italy
    Italy
  • Interests:Consultant for ISO 9001; ISO 17025; ISO 22000; BRC & IFS. I worked at the University of Perugia in the CERB (Italian Brewing Research Centre) as Quality Manager (ISO 9001 - ISO 17025)

Posted 23 January 2023 - 09:33 AM

Hi Mauro,

BRCGS Global Standard for Food Safety has a fundamental requirement for the site to be able to trace all raw material product lots (including primary packaging) from its suppliers through all stages of processing and dispatch to its customers and vice versa.

Clause 3.9.3 requires a test the traceability system across the range of product groups to ensure traceability can be determined from the supplier of raw material (including primary packaging) to the finished product and vice versa including a quantity check/mass balance.

The relevant primary packaging here includes printed packaging and labels with food safety and legal information.

This packaging should be issued to the production line and any remaining packaging returned after the production run has finished.

You should be logging the following quantities/numbers of relevant packaging:

Issued to the production line

Used during the production run

Packaging wasted

Returned to stores

Packaging issued minus packaging waste minus packaging returned = Packaging used for product.

Your mass balance of packaging should match the number of products produced.

Sometimes it is difficult to quantify packaging waste, in which case a typical level of waste based on historical usage may be used to estimate the waste. If there is a significant discrepancy by either method you should be investigating the discrepancy.

Kind regards,

Tony

Thanks a lot. For one of my company it will be very difficult to trace the quantitaty of pakaging materials. I will invent something following your suggests. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users