• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2023 - 08:13 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anything wrong with working with a company that is not SQF certified?  The company I work for is SQF certified but we have an opportunity for business with a company who is not currently SQF or BRC certified.  The company is working towards becoming certified but they are very far away from it happening.  It's a very new business and they are trying to get started, I have visited the facility which is very clean, they follow GMP guidelines but they just don't have any policies written out.  Thoughts please?

SheenaQA&BRCGS

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:10 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anything wrong with working with a company that is not SQF certified? The company I work for is SQF certified but we have an opportunity for business with a company who is not currently SQF or BRC certified. The company is working towards becoming certified but they are very far away from it happening. It's a very new business and they are trying to get started, I have visited the facility which is very clean, they follow GMP guidelines but they just don't have any policies written out. Thoughts please?

If you're comfortable creating the procedures and the whole program, go for it. Make it your own. It can still be a good opportunity depending how you look at it

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,691 posts
  • 1148 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:21 PM

Are you talking about a standard supplier or a contract supplier where the company you want to work with is packaging under your label?

Edited by SQFconsultant, 20 March 2023 - 09:24 PM.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

wbourg

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 11 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:30 PM

In our policy we require companies to be GFSI certified, but will supplement with audits for the smaller companies that do not have GFSI certifications. 

The code defines an approved supplier as: A supplier (s) that has been assessed and approved by a site based on risk assessment as capable of meeting the sites food safety and quality requirements for goods and services supplied.

And also this: 

2.3.4.2 The approved supplier program shall be based on the past performance of a supplier

and the risk level of the raw materials, ingredients, processing aids, packaging, and services supplied, and shall contain at a minimum:

i. ii. Agreed specifications (refer to 2.3.2);Reference to the level of risk applied to raw materials, ingredients, packaging, and services from the approved supplier; iii. A summary of the food safety controls implemented by the approved supplier; iv. Methods for granting approved supplier status;

v. Methods and frequency of monitoring approved suppliers;

vi. Details of the certificates of conformance, if required; and

vii. Methods and frequency of reviewing approved supplier performance and status.

I think you can, just don't do like I did and say every vendor is GFSI and have one that isn't on the register. 

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2023 - 08:45 AM

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anything wrong with working with a company that is not SQF certified?  The company I work for is SQF certified but we have an opportunity for business with a company who is not currently SQF or BRC certified.  The company is working towards becoming certified but they are very far away from it happening.  It's a very new business and they are trying to get started, I have visited the facility which is very clean, they follow GMP guidelines but they just don't have any policies written out.  Thoughts please?

I believe it is okay to work with suppliers that are not certified, as long as you are aware of the risks, have documented them and have a plan in place to address these issues as soon as possible.

You can't follow GMP without having the procedures and policies written out, so that is something that the supplier should address first.

Secondly, they should have a solid procedure in place as their improvement plan to keep mistakes and problems to a minimum.

Unless they keep you informed with documentation that shows continuous improvement, I would plan more visits to make sure their cleanliness remains on point and implementation of other policies and procedures are actively being addressed.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,250 posts
  • 1300 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:51 AM

Hi INTer,

Clause 2.3.4.6 implies that approval can be by supplier audit, so provided you meet the requirements in clause 2.3.4.2, a successful audit of the business conducted by a knowledgeable and trained auditor would be a suitable alternative to certification. 

Clearly the business in question will need to get up to speed with their documentation to pass an audit. If you don't feel qualified or confident enough to conduct the audit then you could contract it out.

Kind regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 April 2023 - 02:16 PM

Hello,

Hi ral,

(bit late)

IMO it may initially depend on what specific kind of products are involved, eg Low/High Risk.?

GMP is not a replacement for HACCP.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users