Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 01:51 PM

Can someone advise if a Food Defense plan is required for bulk transfer stations that are transferring liquid fructose from rail car to tanker?  I'm unclear whether this action constitutes as any of the "manufacture/process, pack, or hold

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 20 April 2023 - 02:58 PM

I would think yes.  You would have to show some way that this area is locked and only certain employees have access.  The question is, is this an area where someone could potentially affect your product?

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 April 2023 - 07:32 PM

Can someone advise if a Food Defense plan is required for bulk transfer stations that are transferring liquid fructose from rail car to tanker?  I'm unclear whether this action constitutes as any of the "manufacture/process, pack, or hold

Yes, probably.  The regional FDA inspections office is likely going to be able to give a more definitive answer.

The exemption to the exemption seems to be liquid storage, unless its the exemption to the exemption to the exemption for animal foods.  Clear as mud.  I'm fairly certain the quantity alone, rail cars worth of material, puts you in the category of "This rule is designed to primarily cover large companies whose products reach many people"

Edited by G M, 20 April 2023 - 07:34 PM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users