Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand

Posted 06 May 2023 - 06:31 AM

I have just had my first audit under SQF Primary Plant Production Edition 9 and I received a minor for a small debris pile down the side of a cool store which had built up from a large amount of rain we had just had and had been missed by the yard staff due to some bins been placed in front of the build-up. The area supervisor spoke to the yard staff regarding the importance of checking all areas and especially after weather events i.e. heavy rain.

I have supplied photos of the area all cleaned up but I also have to supply a training record. Does anyone have a sample of this type of one-off training record?

Thanks in advance.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,873 posts
  • 729 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2023 - 08:05 AM

Hi, I'm not someone who has used SQF but in general I'm not a fan of a one off training record.  I'd change the standard they are trained against (and future hires would be trained against.)

So for example, whatever standard operating procedure or work plan you have for outside cleaning, I'd include your corrective actions, e.g. post heavy rain you inspect and have key areas that need to be inspected.  Update that document, then train the staff again as you would have originally. It could also be good to have a designated storage space for the bins where it's not going to cause an issue.  Putting that in place with physical floor markings could also be helpful as a clear visual standard.

But also is there a way of redesigning the area so you don't get build up or that the water and debris drains away?  

My last point and probably because I'm over 20 years in the food industry and I'm also a parent.  I have a slight "hmm really?" feel about how the bins "happened" to be in front of the debris.  Was it an attempt to hide it before the auditor came to look?   :giggle: 

(Sorry... I'm just suspicious...)

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 652 posts
  • 184 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 May 2023 - 04:03 PM

I usually use blank training forms for all my trainings; with places for the date, instructor's name/signature, SOP being trained in the session, with a spot for attendees to print and sign their name.  These have worked well for me for routine new hire training, refresher trainings, one off/group trainings, etc.  In your case, I'd list the names of all affected persons and have them re-trained against whichever SOP in your FSMS should have covered this event.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SQF, Training Records

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users